|When Worlds Collide |
(Aratanaru Tabidachi!! Tōkyō Daikessen!!)
"Setting Off On a New Journey!! The Great Tokyo Showdown!!"
|Airdate||(Ja:) March 8, 2011|
(En:) May 2, 2014 (UK)
June 15, 2014 (US)
|Written by||(Ja:) Riku Sanjo|
(En:) Mark Ryan
|Directed by||Tetsuya Endo|
|View on Wikimon|
Thrown back to the Human World, Mikey, Angie, and Jeremy return home for some much needed rest, only to discover that their story about traveling to the Digital World is universally disbelieved by their family. During the evening, however, a blackout occurs, and Mikey and Shoutmon, who is smaller than usual and unable to be seen by anyone but three, investigate. An unnatural aurora lights the sky, a sign that they take to mean a Digimon is headed their way. A voice then calls for Mikey, who tells him that he had guided him in the world to protect it, and Mikey recognizes it as the one that gave him the Fusion Loader. The voice laments on how it is impossible now and disappears before Mikey can question further.
Mikey spends the next day hanging out with his friends, doing his best to make the most of his time. Suspicious at this generosity, they confront him, and Mikey admits to planning to return to the Digital World with Shoutmon. Angie and Jeremy are more insulted by the implication that he cares more about the Fusion Fighters than they do, but their conversation is interrupted by the same voice speaking. In the same alleyway where he obtained his Fusion Loader, Mikey discovers a new DigiCard: that of Omnimon. In his presence, Shoutmon returns to his normal size. Omnimon explains how long ago he was a part of an order of knights who defended the Digital World, only for them to be overwhelmed by evil. When they could not stop the sundering, they were transformed into the DigiCards and scattered, with Omnimon being the only one to reach the Human World. There, he waited for one who could hear the DigiMelodies and at last discovered Mikey. The group declares their intent to return, but Omnimon tells them that he only has the strength to return Mikey and Shoutmon. Mikey regrets the decision, but they all acknowledge that someone needs to return, in spite of how vital Angie and Jeremy are to the Fusion Fighters.
Their return is interrupted by Tactimon, who is more or less unable to be seen by the wider population but is still able to wreak havoc. Not wanting to put innocents in harm's way, they lure Tactimon to a more isolated area. Despite their efforts, Tactimon is empowered by the city's digital energy and manages to fully manifest himself. Neither Shoutmon nor the Darkdramon DigiCard damages Tactimon, and he takes the opportunity to capture Angie and Jeremy in his grip. Despite the torture Tactimon puts them through, neither gives in, encouraging Mikey to continue forth no matter what happens to them. Their emotions, courage, and compassion birth a golden light: the light of Digivolution. With this new power, Shoutmon digivolves to OmniShoutmon. Tactimon is shocked by the sudden Digivolution but assumes that it is just a farce and battles him. However, he is quickly overpowered and killed, with his Sword of Storms falling into the bay.
With Tactimon's death, the Fusion Fighters must part once more. Omnimon uses the last of his power to form a bridge that Mikey and Shoutmon return though, leaving Angie and Jeremy with the powerless DigiCard as they pray for their success. In the Digital World, Ewan Amano and AxeKnightmon discuss the recent events, with Ewan expressing his desire to fight Mikey.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonist(s), and italicized characters feature non-explicitly, e.g. voice, silhouette, image.)
Digimon Data Collection
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
Lasers of Light
Omnimon: "Yes, it's time for you to digivolve, Shoutmon."
Mikey: "Digivolve? Shoutmon, digivolve!"
Shoutmon: "Shoutmon, digivolve to..."
- —Shoutmon digivolves for the first time, saying those words everyone wanted to hear.
OmniShoutmon: "Now you'll pay, Tactimon! There's a new Shoutmon in town!"
Tactimon: "Impossible! No-one could digivolve so suddenly! It took me centuries' to attain this form! It's a trick—I bet you have no power at all!"
OmniShoutmon: "You lose that bet!"
- —Tactimon isn't great at gambling.
OmniShoutmon: "Too slow, Tactimon! A statue could dodge you!"
Tactimon: "You dare insult me!?"
OmniShoutmon: "I'm gonna do way more than insult you! I'm gonna hit you with something you'll never understand: the power created by our bond of friendship!"
- —OmniShoutmon, however, is.
"I regret...my loyalty...to fall in the Human World!"
- —Tactimon is loyal to the end. (Japanese script)
- In the English dub, Omnimon once refers to the DigiCards by their original Japanese name of DigiMemories while recounting his backstory.
- In the Japanese version, OmniShoutmon's codpiece is miscolored gold when he uses the "Twin Fireball Strike".
- A hitflash is used to cover Tactimon striking Shoutmon during the latter's "Rock and Roller".
- The prong of OmniShoutmon's codpiece is recolored gold.
- The scene in which OmniShoutmon's "Doom Drillpress" bores through Tactimon, which includes Tactimon's death throes and speech, is removed.
- A closeup shot of OmniShoutmon's face looking directly into the camera is added to his digivolution sequence, while his spinning for his final pose is removed, limited to two revolutions.
- In the English dub, Omnimon's codpiece is truncated so that it doesn't extend past his crotch.
- The battle between OmniShoutmon and Tactimon is later explained as the cause of Ryouma becoming a Hunter in "Now Revealed! The Secret of the Digimon Hunt!"; he witnessed this battle, as well as the following battle between the Fusion Fighters United Army and Lord Bagra, and was filled with the desire to become stronger than Mikey.
- In the Japanese version, Omnimon says Shoutmon's digivolution is unlocked from Angie and Jeremy's Courage and Friendship. In the Digimon Adventure continuity, these two traits are embodied in Omnimon, who is created from two Mega Digimon who represent Courage and Friendship, WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon respectively, and who bears a fusion those Crests on his chest. The two lights that are emitted by Angie and Jeremy are also different tones of orange and blue, the colors of the two Crests.
- This episode is part two of the season 2 prequel.
- The Darkdramon DigiCard is the only DigiCard that Mikey ever uses more than once.
- When entering the Human World, Shoutmon becomes minuscule, and can only be seen by Mikey, Angie, and Jeremy. In the next TV series, Digimon Universe App Monsters, Appmon are minuscule when entering the Real World, and only App Drivers can see them.
- This is the last episode to use the characters' original clothes, and the first to use their new clothing designs.
- Although their original designs are seen in the American English season 2 opening, they're no longer worn after the season 1.