|"WereGarurumon's Diner" |
(Tomo yo! WereGarurumon)
"Oh Friend! WereGarurumon"
|(Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate||(Ja:) August 15, 1999|
(En:) October 30, 1999
|Written by||(Ja:) Genki Yoshimura|
(En:) Mark Ryan, John Ludin
|Directed by||(Ja:) Junji Shimizu|
|View on Wikimon|
Matt and Gabumon arrive at a restaurant next to a lake, where Joe is working hard to pay off a meal. Matt stays to help, not realising that the owner has no plan of letting them go.
Matt and Gabumon find themselves lost after travelling on a boat from the amusement park where they left T.K., to whom they promised a quick return. They then follow some other Digimon to a restaurant nearby. As they approach it, Gomamon gets thrown out the door by the slave-driving Vegiemon, landing right at the feet of Matt and Gabumon. They enter the kitchen of the restaurant to find Joe who is working off a meal he couldn't pay. Matt fills Joe in and informs him that the whole group has split up. Joe tells Matt that DemiDevimon led him to the restaurant where they ordered a large meal, but were unable to pay because he had 'Digi-dollars' instead of dollar bills from the Real World. Joe explains how his work length has increased due to many silly accidents and his harsh boss. At first he only had to work for three days, but he has worked himself up to over six weeks of payback time due to all the clumsy mishaps.
Matt decides to help him work off the meal as suggested by Digitamamon, but realizes that T.K. must be worried about him. He tells Joe that he'll get T.K. and return to help. Before he leaves, the manager of the restaurant, Digitamamon, who is being bribed by DemiDevimon, blackmails Matt into staying. He claims that 'any accident can happen in the kitchen' hinting that he might hurt Joe. Matt feels torn because he is worried about his little brother, but feels obligated to stay and protect Joe. He decides to stay for Joe's sake and reaches his boiling point when Joe continually questions him about T.K. He then apologizes for snapping, and says they'll be done in no time because he is a great cook.
Over many weeks, Joe causes more accidents and Matt has to do his best to keep his cool. DemiDevimon also is trying to sabotage their work in order keeping Joe and Matt working longer and longer, and they are saved only by a sneaky Sora who fixes the problems DemiDevimon causes. Angered by the fact that she and Biyomon are messing with his plans, DemiDevimon decides to approach Matt personally one night and turns him against Joe. Matt begs his boss to let him go find T.K. but is forced to stay. Not much later, Joe drops a plate because DemiDevimon pushed him and Matt accuses him of screwing up on purpose just to make him stay longer.
Matt storms off outside and at that moment, Tai and T.K. turn up and Joe explains the situation. T.K. reunites with his brother and Tai tells them they should get going, and quick. Matt says he doesn't want to leave, and he doesn't want to go anywhere with Joe anyway, complaining again that Joe is doing everything wrong on purpose. When Tai tries to intervene Matt lashes out at him too, claiming he's the reason they all got separated. Even T.K. is unable to calm his big brother down as his attempt to intervene is met with a harsh reprimand by Matt to be quiet. Then, Digitamamon turns up, along with DemiDevimon to attack the group. Agumon and Patamon chase after DemiDevimon while Garurumon and Ikkakumon try to take out Digitamamon but it's not enough, considering the Digimon's tough shell. Things get worse when T.K is captured by Vegiemon. Joe does his best to save him but then gets captured himself. Matt, feeling touched by Joe's courage in saving T.K., despite how poorly he has been treating him, manages to activate his Crest of Friendship, which allows Garurumon to digivolve into WereGarurumon for the first time. He quickly defeats Digitamamon, and scares Vegiemon away in an instant. Afterwards, Matt apologizes for lashing out, and the four kids split up into two groups (Matt goes with T.K. and Joe goes with Tai) to follow separate readings on their Digivices, hoping to find the rest of their team.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonist(s), and italicized characters feature non-explicitly, e.g. voice, silhouette, image.)
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
"I wasn't lost. I definitely knew where I wasn't, but I just didn't know exactly where I was."
- —Joe's definition of "lost" differs from ours.
"That's what friends do, Joe. When things are tough, they help each other out."
- —Matt on the subject of friendship.
"Easy, Matt. He's already cracked."
- —Gabumon tries to calm Matt when Digitamamon threatens Joe.
Matt: I can't leave him.
Joe: "Did you hear me? Earth to Matt! Come in Matt!"
Matt: Although, he does talk a lot.
- —Matt rationalizes staying at the diner.
"And why am I talking to myself? Even worse, why am I listening and talking back?"
- —Joe thinking about what's left of his sanity.
"Tai! I'm so glad to see you guys, but don't break anything."
- —Joe may be happy to see Tai safe, but that doesn't mean he wants another week added to his debt.
"We've been here long enough to pay for a trip to Hawaii!"
- —Matt is furious after being lied to by DemiDevimon.
"After I accused him and yelled at him, he still risked himself for TK. Joe. No!"
- -Matt deeply regrets his behavior towards Joe after Joe's sacrifice.
Matt: "Vegiemon, you better let go of him!"
WereGarurumon: "Unless you wanna be salad!"
- —Vegiemon takes the hint, releasing Joe and beating a hasty retreat.
DemiDevimon: "Myotismon! One of the humans got the Crest of Friendship to glow and called WereGarurumon!"
DemiDevimon: "I tried, but—Eee! Aah!"
Myotismon: "Perhaps your brain is too small for this job!"
DemiDevimon: "You rotten kids and you rotten Digimon, you'll pay for this!"
- -DemiDevimon gets punished again.
- A small error is made in the English dub when T.K. greets Matt, as Matt asks expectantly, "Where's Tai?", despite the fact that he wouldn't know, at that moment, that Tai was with T.K.
- Garurumon announces his Howling Blaster attack as "Blue Blaster", which is actually Gabumon's main attack.
- In the English dub, when Garurumon digivolves to WereGarurumon, Matt is heard saying "The Crest of Friendship", even though he doesn't discover his crest's name until the episode Sora's Crest of Love.
- When Matt yells at Joe in the kitchen, Joe's left wristband is the same green color as his watch.
- When Joe cheers up at Gabumon and Gomamon's words, his left wristband is colored green again.
- In a still shot of Vegiemon scolding Joe for dropping the orders, the black areas on Vegiemon's eyes are missing.
- In a still shot of Gabumon and Gomamon with the Digimon costumers, an Ogremon has both of his legs with red bands.
- When Tai and T.K. look at Matt after he refuses to leave, T.K.'s arms are the same green yellow as his torso.
- When Digitamamon shows up, Joe's left wristband is the same green color as his watch yet again.
- When Tai, Matt and T.K. look at Digitamamon, part of Tai's right shoe is cut-off.
- When Patamon shows up as the group see DemiDevimon, his animation frames seem to be misplaced as if going through the door like a ghost.
- When Joe jumps to save T.K. from Vegiemon, his left wristband is colored green again.
- When Joe gets captured by Vegiemon, the black areas on Vegiemon's eyes are colored red instead.
- When Vegiemon flees, the background remains the same as the previous shot when he releases Joe.
- When the group stop as their Digivices react, Gomamon's shadow is missing before stopping.
- When Matt speaks at the end of the episode, his arms are the same color as his shirt.
- When Joe has to pay for his meal, he discovers that he must pay in US dollars. In the Japanese version, he has Japanese yen, though in the (American) English dub, he carries a made up currency called Digi-dollars, since it would contradict the plot if Joe had US dollars. A similar thing happens in an episode in the following season.
- Myotismon appears for the second time, again as a silhouette, but this time is referred to by name.
- Digitamamon's restaurant accepts US dollars. Also, in the original episode, Joe carries Japanese yen.
- Digitamamon's English dub voice mimics that of Peter Lorre, who played the restauranteur Ugarte in the film Casablanca.
- WereGarurumon announces the episode title in the Japanese episode.
- In the English dub, this is the first episode to feature the insert song Hey Digimon.