| "Ultimate Anti-Hero" |
(Ankoku Kyūkyokutai BlackWarGreymon)
"The Dark Ultimate, BlackWarGreymon"
| (Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate|| (Ja:) October 29, 2000|
(En:) February 10, 2001
|Written by|| (Ja:) Yoshio Urasawa|
(En:) Rebecca Forstadt, Jeff Nimoy, Bob Buchholz
|Directed by||(Ja:) Takahiro Imamura|
| Chief Anim.|
|View on Wikimon|
After a humiliating defeat, Arukenimon is about to turn the tables on the DigiDestined. Meanwhile, Cody's doubts about Ken manage to isolate Ken further from the group.
Pondering over how to beat the Digi-Destined as they continue to destroy the Control Spires, Arukenimon soon gets a great idea after remembering the digimon she created from just 1 or 10 of the Control Spires.
Meanwhile, the Digi-Destined take a break from wrecking the Control Spires, but an attempt by Davis to try and get Ken and Cody to talk to each other results in Ken taking Wormmon and leaving, before Arukenimon and Mummymon arrive and, using her Spirit Needles, Arukenimon begins to create a digimon made from 100 Control Spires. The Digi-Destined are quick to react, and have their Digimon digivolve. T.K. and Kari fly ahead on Pegasusmon and Nefertimon to take a closer look at the Digimon Arukenimon is creating, but Cody is worried for their safety because they're way too far ahead of him, Davis, and Yolei and their Digimon. Before it even takes physical form, Cody's fears are confirmed when a blast of dark energy knocks Kari and T.K. out of the sky, leaving them and their partners badly bruised. Pegasusmon and Nefertimon identify the new Digimon as BlackWarGreymon, a Mega Digimon looking exactly like WarGreymon. It's now up to ExVeemon, Aquilamon, and Ankylomon to fight the Mega before Yolei takes Aquilamon to find Ken and convince him to help, pushed to the point of having to slap him to get him and Stingmon to rejoin the others and DNA Digivolve with Ex-Veemon to form Paildramon.
However, not even Paildramon can make a dent in BlackWarGreymon, and he soon roars as he prepares a finishing move. Kari screams for everyone to flee for their lives, but they are too late. When the dust settles, the Digi-Destined and their partners lie heavily battered, bruised, and defeated. Afterwards, instead of following Arukenimon and Mummymon's orders, BlackWarGreymon departs, saying he takes orders from no one and searches for a digimon he considers a worthy opponent for his powers.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonist(s), and italicized characters feature non-explicitly, e.g. voice, silhouette, image.)
Note: English dub appearances differ from original. See dubbing changes.
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
|(w/ Stingmon)||+ Leafmon|
|(w/ ExVeemon)||+ Chibomon|
Veemon: "I know when something's wrong, and something's wrong. Now what's wrong?"
Davis: "Stop asking me what's wrong!"
Yolei: "Huh? Hey, Davis, what's wrong?"
- —The DigiDestined show off their lack of originality.
Mummymon: "If you have to use a hundred hairs, you could get a job in the circus as the bald lady! Hahaha!"
Arukenimon: "And you can join the circus on the flying trapeze! (Throws Mummymon off cliff)"
- —The duo exchange circus jokes.
Mummymon: "(singing) Ninety-nine control spires on the side of the road, ninety-nine control spires. You knock one down-"
Arukenimon: "Oh, be quiet!"
- —Mummymon's variation on the popular road song does not go over well.
"We're gone ten minutes and you cause a mutiny?"
- —T.K., after Davis and Yolei's plan to force Ken and Cody to get along backfires.
"Wow, talk about meeting head-to-head! We're gonna need an aspirin the size of a control spire after this fight!"
- —Paildramon takes on his newest foe, BlackWarGreymon.
Arukenimon: "You have done an outstanding job, BlackWarGreymon. You may now proceed to destroy the Digital World."
Mummymon: "Don't just stand there patting yourself on the back. Your master has given you new orders. Now get to work!"
BlackWarGreymon: "I will take orders from no one."
Arukenimon/Mummymon: "You what?!"
BlackWarGreymon: "Why should I take orders from you when you're so weak you need me to do your fighting for you? I must find a more worthy opponent."
- —BlackWarGreymon rebels seconds after defeating the DigiDestined.
- When Digmon uses his Rock Crackin' attack, his lower arms are yellow underneath where they should be black (this same error appears throughout the series, due to repeated use of the exact shot).
- In a shot of Yolei, Davis and their Digimon after Digmon and Stingmon destroy a control spire, the yellow 'V' on Veemon's forehead appears to be missing.
- In a close-up shot of Yolei choking at Davis' words, her glove is missing.
- In a close-up shot of Kari choking at Davis' words, her glove is the same color as her skin.
- When Ankylomon is being lifted up by BlackWarGreymon, some of his osteoderms are colored gray instead of golden.
- A scene with Digmon near the beginning of the episode is removed from the English dub.
- At the beginning of the original episode, Arukenimon grabs Mummymon and throws him into their car when he ruins her concentration. In the English dub, this scene was replaced with Arukenimon ranting to Mummymon about having to revise her plans in response to the DigiDestined destroying her Spires.
- Various shots of control spires collapsing are cut from later airings of the English dub, due to 9/11 concerns.
- When Arukenimon throws Mummymon into a control spire, the moment he makes contact with the spire is censored with a white flash in the English dub.
- In the original, after Davis's comment makes Yolei, T.K., Kari, Veemon, Hawkmon, Patamon, and Gatomon choke on their tea, they start coughing soon afterwards. In the dub, it is changed to laughter.
- In the original version, before BlackWarGreymon roars, he can be heard groaning.
- When BlackWarGreymon strikes Aquilamon, a white flash censors the moment of impact in the English dub.
- In the original version, prior to Paildramon using his Desperado Blaster attack, he speaks using ExVeemon's voice first and Stingmon's voice later.
- BlackWarGreymon's evil laugh after Paildramon's Desperado Blaster attack is actually groaning in the Japanese version.
- Near the end of the original episode, when Mummymon catches the passed out Arukenimon, a moment when she punches him in the stomach is removed from the English dub.
- This episode shows clips from the previous episode, when Arukenimon thinks back to her latest defeat by the DigiDestined.
- This episode shows a clip from the episode Spirit Needle, featuring Arukenimon creating Golemon from a control spire.
- This episode shows a clip from the episode United We Stand, featuring Arukenimon using several control spires to create Okuwamon.
- BlackWarGreymon announces the episode title in the Japanese episode.
- In the original version, BlackWarGreymon refers to himself using "私" (Watashi?), the basic Japanese pronoun for referring to one's self, implying femininity or neuter. However, in later episodes, he refers to himself by "俺" (Ore?), a more informal pronoun used to establish a sense of masculinity, or to indicate one's status (where the speaker is of a higher status).