| "Trailmon vs. Trailmon" |
(Chiki Chiki! Toreirumon Mou Rēsu)
"Choo-Choo! The Great Trailmon Race"
| (Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Sensation Animation
|Airdate|| (Ja:) August 11, 2002|
(En:) November 22, 2002
|Written by||(En:) Dave Wittenberg|
With all five pairs of Spirits gathered, Ophanimon directs the warriors to the Rose Morning Star. They are sidetracked when they decide to enter a Trailmon race, the grand prize being hamburgers.
The DigiDestined, all anxious to get to the Rose Morning Star, take a Trailmon to get there. Unbeknownst to them, however, it is the day of the Great Trailmon Race and so they are forced to get off at a town they are unfamiliar with. They explore until they come to the Trailmon race track. Upon learning that the winner gets a cheeseburger, the DigiDestined are eager to join. When the other riders are scared off when ShadowWereGarurumon joins the race, the group partners with the different Trailmon to compete. The race begins, but Neemon immediately loses due to falling asleep and failing to start moving at all. J.P. spirit evolves to look cool, but they are forced to quit due to a Raremon on the tracks. Shortly later, the group comes to a bridge with Takuya in the lead and ShadowWereGarurumon right behind him. Once they pass, Doggymon, who has teamed up with ShadowWereGarurumon, uses an explosive to take out the bridge. Koji and his Trailmon (Franken) manage to jump the gap, but Zoe and Tommy are forced to spirit evolve. Kumamon creates a track of ice for Trailmon (Angler) and Kazemon manages to lift Trailmon (Mole) to safety, but she is eliminated.
The remaining Trailmon come to a narrow mountain pass. Takuya, who is in the lead, is nudged by Trailmon (Buffalo) until he falls off. Kumamon catches Takuya and helps him up to Trailmon (Worm). Takuya spirit evolves and quickly gets into a fight with ShadowWereGarurumon and Doggymon. Koji spirit evolves and helps Takuya fight. Unfortunately, this leaves Franken unguarded and Doggymon eats his brakes. Lobomon attempts to stop Franken, but they are going downhill and fall off a cliff. Kumamon grabs Franken to keep him from falling and Lobomon slide evolves into KendoGarurumon, managing to cling to a canyon wall. Unfortunately, Angler must support the weight of Franken as well and slides off the cliff. KendoGarurumon breaks the fall of both Trailmon and Kumamon, but they are all eliminated.
Takuya and ShadowWereGarurumon enter the tunnel in the mountain, and yet again there is foul play when Doggymon throws a bomb to take Worm off the tracks. Worm begins to leak gasoline, which is ignited by some nearby DemiMeramon. Takuya slide evolves to BurningGreymon and he and Worm manage to make it out of the tunnel just as it explodes. They begin to race without a track and Takuya uses Wildfire Tsunami against ShadowWereGarurumon with Worm's help. They knock Buffalo out and win the race. They learn that the prize isn't a cheeseburger but a trip to the Hamburger Digimon Village.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonist(s), and italicized characters feature non-explicitly, e.g. voice, silhouette, image.)
|Ophanimon: "ShadowWereGarurumon is a particularly nasty character. His special attack is Shadow Claw."|
|Ophanimon: "Dogmon. He's full of sneaky tricks and can stretch himself like rubber."|
|J.P. Shibayama||1||Beetlemon||2||J.P. Shibayama|
|Zoe Orimoto||3||Kazemon||5||Zoe Orimoto|
|Tommy Himi||3||Kumamon||9||Tommy Himi|
|Takuya Kanbara||6||Agunimon||11||BurningGreymon||12||Takuya Kanbara|
|Koji Minamoto||7||Lobomon||8||KendoGarurumon||9||Koji Minamoto|
- Immediately after he is analyzed, Doggymon's ears are the same color as the rest of his body.
- Worm uses a variation of the often misquoted line from the 1948 film The Treasure of the Sierra Madre: "Track? I don't need no track".
- Buffalo says, "I'm melting! I'm melting!", referencing The Wizard of Oz.
- During the hill part of the race, Mole says to himself "I think I can. I think I can.", referring to the famous chant used by the Little Engine in the children's story The Little Engine That Could.
- The episode is done in the style of Wacky Races, with the assortment of different cars and hijinks between the characters. ShadowWereGarurumon and Doggymon act like Dick Dastardly and Muttley from the same series.
- The Japanese episode title is a direct homage to the Japanese name of the Wacky Races series, "Chiki Chiki Machine Mou Race" (チキチキマシン猛レース Chiki Chiki Mashin Mou Rēsu?)
- The city the race was held in was modeled after the Principality of Monaco.
- When being analyzed, Doggymon's name is left unchanged on the title bar, but when spoken, is called the Japanese name, Dogmon.
- In the original Japanese version, Takuya's insert song, "Salamander", plays as Worm throws Buffalo off the track.