| "The Legend of the DigiDestined" |
| (Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate|| (Ja:) May 30, 1999|
(En:) October 1, 1999
|Written by|| (Ja:) Satoru Nishizono|
(En:) Rebecca Forstadt, John Ludin
|Directed by||(Ja:) Hiroyuki Kakudou|
| Chief Anim.|
As the kids are reunited on Infinity Mountain, Devimon decides he's had enough, and proceeds to take care of them himself.
As T.K. and Patamon play with the baby Digimon in Primary Village, Leomon arrives to attack them. The two go and hide but they run into Ogremon who has kidnapped a Poyomon. Leomon then catches up to them. As he is about to kill T.K., Matt, Garurumon, Tai and Greymon show up to save them. As the four champion level Digimon are fighting, more Black Gears embed themselves into Leomon who becomes huge and more evil and powerful. He easily defeats Garurumon and Greymon. Patamon's attacks do nothing against him. Just then, Izzy, Kabuterimon, Mimi and Togemon come. Izzy and Mimi inform the others that their Digivices have the power to destroy Black Gears. Tai and Matt shine them on Leomon who turns back to normal while Kabuterimon drives off Ogremon.
Leomon tells the kids that legends say that a group of children called the DigiDestined will come to the Digital World and save it from darkness. He knows it is them because they can digivolve their partners. Izzy predicts that after saving the Digital World they will be able to go home. The group then sets off to defeat Devimon. However, Devimon is not worried as he sends out more Black Gears. Sora, Birdramon, Joe and Ikkakumon see them on their way to Infinity Mountain.
Tai's group have reached the peak of the mountain when suddenly Devimon appears. Right after, Sora's group does too. The Digimon with the ability to all digivolve and the six of them along with Leomon begin to fight Devimon but they have no effect on the powerful Digimon. T.K. and Patamon stand by helplessly as Devimon is about to get them. The others try to save them but can't. As Devimon grabs the two, a light starts shining from his hand. Patamon has digivolved to Angemon!
Devimon is still not worried but Angemon says that he will destroy Devimon and bring peace. He gathers energy from all of the Digivices which causes everyone to de-digivolve except for him who is now more powerful. He sends a strong blast right through the evil Digimon. Devimon is destroyed but he is telling Angemon that there will be more evil and he has used up all of his energy too. For that reason he is also dying. As T.K. cries, Angemon uses the last of his energy to tell him that he will come back. His feathers then come together to form a Digi-Egg which T.K. hugs and vows to take care of as the others assure him that it is Patamon.
The island then starts to reform as the darkness has been defeated. As the kids wonder why they are not going home, they realize there must be more evil they have to fight. Then a hologram of an old man appears he tells them he is pleased with them, leaving everyone wondering who he is.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonist(s), and italicized characters feature non-explicitly, e.g. voice, silhouette, image.)
No Digimon are analysed in this episode.
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
Tai: "What are you waiting for, booger breath! Come on and get us, if you dare!"
Matt: "What's up, dude? Have you totally flipped out?
- —Tai purposely baiting Leomon, much to Matt's horror.
"You've just begun to see our power! ELECTRO SHOCKER!!"
- —Kabuterimon attacks a surprised Ogremon.
"According to ancient legend, our world will be taken over by a strange dark force that will change good Digimons into bad ones. Our ancestors have predicted that a group of children called the DigiDestined will appear from another world. When they arrive, they will come to possess super powers that will eventually save our world from destruction."
- —Leomon, on the legends of old.
"If we don't defeat him, it'll never be over."
- —Tai decides to take the fight to Devimon.
"I wanna take him home with me!"
- —T.K. sees Angemon for the first time.
"Come here, pretty-boy!"
- —Devimon underestimates Angemon.
"You used up all your power. That wasn't very smart, Angemon. Now you're of no use to anyone. You can't get away from the dark forces. Evil is everywhere, so don't savor your victory. There are other Digimon who are just as powerful as I am. Some are even stronger. I wonder what you'll do when you run into them. You haven't won at all! What a waste of time."
- —Devimon's final words.
"T.K., I'll come back again, if you want me to."
- —Angemon's final words.
Ogremon: "With Devimon out of the way, I can take over now."
Leomon: "Hello, you forgettin' about me?"
Ogremon: "LEOMON!!! GET ME OUT OF HERE!!! Why can't the bad guys ever win?"
- —Ogremon and Leomon resume their rivalry.
- When Greymon is revealed standing next to Ogremon, part of Ogremon's Bone Cudgel (and a small part of Ogremon's right horn) is cut off.
- When Leomon stops growing, a back-shot shows his left shoulder as the same color as his hair.
- As Leomon approaches T.K. and Patamon, a shot from behind shows him in his normal coloration despite being in his dark form.
- When Kabuterimon arrives at the Primary Village, the end of his tail is blue instead of gray.
- When Kabuterimon uses his Electro Shocker attack on Ogremon, the gray parts of his body are a much darker tone.
- Whilst in the boat, the black band on Tai's left arm is missing, the black marks between Tentomon's eyes are gray instead of black and the spikes on Gabumon's tail are blue instead of yellow.
- When Ikkakumon first uses his Harpoon Torpedo attack against Devimon, Devimon's mouth is the same dark color as the rest of his body.
- When Devimon is holding Birdramon, Birdramon's lower jaw is the same color as her upper jaw.
- As Devimon reaches out to grab T.K., a brief shot of the back of his right hand shows it looking like his left hand.
- In the first close-up shot of Angemon, his left hand is entirely brown, and the section of blue cloth going between his left arm and right leg is missing. This same bit of cloth disappears again when he raises his staff.
- In a shot after Leomon returns to normal, Patamon's eyes appear to be misplaced.
- When Ogremon emerges from Devimon's body in order to surprise Leomon, a short clip is cut out of the English dub, showing Ogremon hitting Leomon and knocking him to the ground.
- The English dub tones down the implications that Angemon intends to sacrifice himself as he prepares to attack, and replaces Angemon's apology to T.K. with an assurance that he will defeat Devimon. Angemon does not actually admit to the sacrifice until he has already completed the attack.
- When the DigiDestined and Leomon are walking up Infinity Mountain in the Japanese version, the music Adiago movement from Joaquín Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez. can be heard playing. This same music is later played when Angemon evolves into MagnaAngemon.
- Angemon announces the episode title in the Japanese episode.
- Patamon is the last of the group to digivolve to the Champion level. Later on, he will also be the last to digivolve to his Ultimate form.
- This is the first episode in the series in which no Digimon are analyzed.
- For the English dub of this episode, actress Philece Sampler stands in for Wendee Lee as T.K., and will continue to do so until "The Crest of Sincerity".
- Two sounds Star Wars are heard in the English dub: a Tie-Fighter As Kabuterimon is swatted by Devimon during the fight and a Lightsaber Igniting as Angemon's staff goes down into his hands for his Hand of Fate attack.