|"The Gateway To Home" |
(Yami no Shiro Vamdemon)
"Vamdemon, the Castle of Darkness"
|(Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate||(Ja:) September 12, 1999|
(En:) November 20, 1999
|Written by||(Ja:) Hiro Masaki|
(En:) Rebecca Forstadt, John Ludin
|Directed by||(Ja:) Keiji Hayakawa|
|View on Wikimon|
With everyone together again, Gennai shows up with news of an eighth DigiDestined, and so the group must return to the real world, and find the child before Myotismon does.
The group decide to sneak into his castle. Agumon and Palmon go in disguise as recruits for Myotismon's army, and are accepted for training by Nanimon. The two, aided by Sukamon, Chuumon, and some Numemon and Vegiemon who are also part of Nanimon's group of overworked henchmen, find a way in for the rest of the DigiDestined by luring Nanimon with soda (sake in the original Japanese).
Meanwhile, Myotismon is about to depart for the real world through a legendary door, and the group find him just as he's leaving. Myotismon escapes and sends Nanimon and his henchmen to fight the children. After handily scaring off their enemies, the children try to make their way to the door, but Gatomon, one of Myotismon's most loyal servants, summons a horde of Devidramon. Their hypnosis creates such a diversion for the kids that the door closes before they can go through. With Gatomon and Myotismon now in the human world, Tai beats on the door helplessly.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonist(s), and italicized characters feature non-explicitly, e.g. voice, silhouette, image.)
|DemiDevimon: "Nanimon, is an Invader Digimon. I'd tell him what I really think of his sunglasses, but his 'Power Punch' would flatten me."|
|DemiDevimon: "Gatomon might look like a harmless little kitty, but deep down inside, she's an out-of-control wild cat. Don't ever cross her path."|
|Gatomon: "Devidramon—he's one nasty dragon, guardian of the gate. 'Devi' doesn't like losing. If you want a real surprise, look into his eyes—you'll be hypnotized."|
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
Joe: "Save the good news for last. I hate being depressed."
Matt: "He's a basket case anyway, let's start with the good news."
- —Joe and Matt disagree about what Gennai should tell them first.
Tai: "Tell us something about this kid, like what's his or her name?"
Gennai: "Uhh, the name? It's... I forgot.
- —Nice, Gennai.
"What a couple of weirdos. You're perfect, I'll take ya!"
- —Nanimon's opinion of Agumon and Palmon's disguises.
"Open the gate to my destiny!"
- —Myotismon prepares to enter the human world.
- -Myotismon leaving the DigiDestined as they face his servants at the gate.
- In the first shot of the group gathered around Gennai's hologram, Matt's legs are the same yellow color as Gabumon's skin.
- In the panning shot the group looking at Gennai's hologram, Mimi's bag is missing from her shoulder.
- When Agumon and Palmon enter Myotismon's castle, Agumon's red scarf is colored yellow in the previous shot.
- When Tai and Agumon look at Izzy and Tentomon inside Myotismon's castle, Tai's head band is the same light blue color as the lens on his goggles.
- In the shot of the group in the castle hallway, Tai's upper body and Sora's lower body are shaded when not moving.
- Just before Greymon digivolves to MetalGreymon, Tai's Digivice turns blue instead of orange - usually seen with Matt's Digivice.
- Nanimon is shown to drink soda in the English dub, when it is in fact alcohol. The labelling on the bottles is also removed to hide this fact.
- In the English Dub, Myotismon claims that he's figured out the proper code to open the doorway to the real world that the Digidestined need to figure out in the following episode, while in the original, he cast a spell to make the cards go into the proper pattern (hence the reason they were upside down).
- DemiDevimon's Demi Dart is edited out (yet again) during a fight with Patamon in the English dub, due to its close resemblance to a syringe.
- The scene where the Digidestined first encounter Gatomon is heavily edited, due in part to a shot of DemiDevimon having a piece of poop on his head, but mostly because of its proximity to the aforementioned use of DemiDevimon's Demi Dart, as the darts are visible in shots with Gatomon.
- Originally, when Myotismon places the cards to open the gate, he chants the words "Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius", which is a reference to a short story of the same name, written by Jorge Luis Borges.
- Myotismon announces the episode title in the Japanese episode.
- During Greymon's digivolution to MetalGreymon in the English dub, he announces the name "MetalGreymon" twice.
- In this episode, the existence of the eighth DigiDestined is revealed to the group. This episode also happens to mark the first appearance of Gatomon, who would later turn out to be the eighth Chosen Digimon.
- The end of this episode signifies the half-way point of the series.
- In the original Japanese version, this is the first episode to use the ending theme Keep On.
- In the Finnish version, this is the first episode to be dubbed by Tuotantotalo Werne, which took over from the infamous Agapio Racing Team.
- The Devidramon who pulls Myotismon's stagecoach is last seen going through the door and is never seen again. It is possible that when Gatomon awakens many Devidramon to fight the Digi Destined and their Digimon the first time, he returns to help his comrades, because when Gatomon awakened the other Devidramon, there were only two, whereas there were three in the first battle.