| "The Emperor's New Home" |
(Ibbiru Ringu Maryoku no Bōsō)
"The Evil Ring's Magic Runs Wild"
| (Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate|| (Ja:) May 28, 2000|
(En:) September 23, 2000
|Written by|| (Ja:) Genki Yoshimura|
(En:) Seth Walther, Jeff Nimoy, Bob Buchholz
|Directed by||(Ja:) Takao Yoshizawa|
| Chief Anim.|
After growing tired of his own world, Ken decides to remain permanently as the Digimon Emperor, which can only spell bad news for the other kids.
Note: The English video recap for this episode is either unavailable or non-existent.
With the Digi-Destined now knowing his true identity so they would be hunting for him back in Japan, Ken decides to become the Digimon Emperor indefinitely and departs for the Digital World, leaving behind a goodbye note for his parents to find on his bedroom computer. When they discover it, Mrs. Ichijouji is heartbroken while Mr. Ichijouji is furious, and they call the police to report Ken has run away. When the Digi-Destined discover the news upon arriving at Ken's apartment and seeing the police there as well, they realize something is terribly wrong.
In the Digital World, Ken decides to hunt down the Digimon partner of Taichi "Tai" Kamiya, Agumon, to make him his newest servant in his bid to take over the Digital World. He sends a team of Dark Ring-controlled Meramon to keep the Digi-Destined busy while he locates Greymon and subdues him with a Dark Ring, intending to use the Digi-Destined's own friends against them to keep them off his back.
When he confronts the Digi-Destined with Greymon, he attempts to have Greymon digivolve into his Ultimate form of MetalGreymon, but the digivolution instead has Greymon dark digivolve into SkullGreymon, leaving him to run rampant, overpowering the Armor Digimon and wreck the Control Spire with his Dark Shot. Not even a squad of DarkTyrannomon that Ken calls in can subdue SkullGreymon until his energy runs out and he reverts back into Agumon.
Before the Digi-Destined can recover Agumon, Ken has his Airdramon grab Agumon and make good on his escape. Back in the computer lab, Izzy watches as a large area of the Digital World under Agumon's watch is quickly subjugated by Ken with Control Spires, and fears that if something terrible has happened to Agumon, then Tentomon and the rest of the Digi-Destined's partners could be in grave danger as well.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonist(s), and italicized characters feature non-explicitly, e.g. voice, silhouette, image.)
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
"Uh oh, the Emperor's not in a good mood today, which is like every other day."
- —Wormmon observes the Digimon Emperor as he arrives in the Digital World.
Reporter: "They say genius is one percent brains and ninety-nine percent hard work. Do you think that's true?"
Ken: "Mine's two percent."
- —Ken, giving an interview.
"Cheer up. You can destroy somebody tomorrow."
"I've got an idea. Let's grab some dark rings, we'll capture a couple of innocent Digimon, and make their lives absolutely miserable. That should make you happy!"
- —Wormmon does his best to cheer up the Digimon Emperor.
"Not one of them is worth half of what I'm worth. Nothing but fools!!"
- —Ken goes mad with frustration.
"I'm surprised they didn't eat my arm right off."
- —Yolei and the others watch as their Digimon stuff themselves full of food.
Davis: "Yeah, that's him. The evil kid."
Cody: "Who would think that such a normal looking boy could be the Digimon Emperor?"
Kari: "His smile makes him look so gentle."
T.K.: "Uh, yeah, but his haircut makes him look like you, Kari."
- —The DigiDestined find an article about Ken in the paper.
Izzy: "Okay, okay! Don't get your knickers in a twist, Davis. Let's just find him."
Davis: "What are knickers?"
Izzy: "Never mind."
- —Izzy should never use big words with Davis.
Yolei: "Looks like a nice place to live."
Davis: "Yeah, if living next to a heartless kid who wants to rule the world is nice."
- —Yolei and Davis comment on Ken's apartment building.
"I don't want to barge in. I might set off one of his booby traps."
- —Mrs. Ichijouji fails to realize that if her son's room is protected by booby traps, then something is seriously wrong.
Mrs. Ichijouji:: "All his teacher could talk about was something called Donkey Madness."
Mr. Ichijouji:: "Donkey Madness??"
Mrs. Ichijouji:: "I know, it's strange. I mean, we don't even own a donkey."
- —Mrs. Ichijouji isn't as smart as her sons.
"Goodbye to all of you. Your trivial lives will plague me no longer. My destiny awaits."
- —Ken's farewell note to the human world.
Cody: "Okay, I wrote down a battle plan."
Yolei: "Uh, does it include the police?"
Davis: "Huh? Man, that kid's trouble!"
- —The DigiDestined arrive at Ken's apartment building at the same time as the cops.
"Why do evil geniuses have to be so evil?"
- —Cody asks a question of the ages.
"Let's go get that evil cute guy!"
- —Yolei, not over her feelings for Ken.
"Look at this land of fire! It's like the movie... 'Land of Fire'!"
- —T.K. comments on the land, but it's the movie makers who need some originality.
"Um, Master, can I get a little help here? I'm having some trouble standing."
- —Wormmon's version of "I've fallen and I can't get up".
Ken: "There's my prey!"
Greymon: "Come and get it. What do you say the two of us go at it one-on-one?"
Ken: "As much as I appreciate your offer, Greymon, I'd rather we play spear throw."
Greymon: "What? But I hate spear throw!"
- —Greymon falls prey to the Digimon Emperor's dark ring.
Ken: "Greymon, digivolve to MetalGreymon and be my slave!"
Greymon: "Greymon digivolve to..."
- —Not exactly the result Ken was expecting.
Davis: "How can we beat that thing?"
Kari: "I have no idea!"
Davis: "Not even one?"
T.K.: "I have one!"
T.K.: "I say we run, and then after that we run some more!"
- —Davis defers to the more experienced DigiDestined for advice, but only T.K. has met SkullGreymon up front before.
Nefertimon: "Everyone, run!"
Kari: "But we have to fight SkullGreymon!"
Pegasusmon: "Yes, great idea, stay clustered together so you create an easy target. Get to safety!"
- —Pegasusmon is being sarcastic, but he's got a good point.
"Why can't we ever fight anything short?"
- —Kari, not even the Harmonious Ones could answer that question.
Davis: "With all that fire, they could bake, broil and braze him. If he can't stand the heat, he'd better get out of the kitchen."
T.K.: "Stop! You're making me want a barbeque."
- —Davis and T.K. watch the DarkTyrannomon take on SkullGreymon.
Kari: "That's Agumon!"
T.K.: "That slimy creature is coming after him! And when I say slimy creature, I mean Ken."
T.K.: "Let him go!"
T.K.: "You'd better not hurt him, Ken!"
Davis: "Yeah, jerk!"
Ken: "From defeat, I snatch another victory!"
Kari: "T.K., Davis, somebody do something! They're getting away!"
- —The team are horrified to learn that Ken's newest slave is Tai's partner.
"If he was able to get Agumon, that means every one of our Digimon are in danger!"
- —Izzy's realization of a terrifying possibility.
- Kari is the first of the 02 DigiDestined to recognize SkullGreymon, despite not being present when he appeared the first time.
- When the Digimon are crowding around the food bought by Yolei, the black outline of DemiVeemon's right eye is colored white in one of the frames.
- When opening the digiport, Davis is the one to say "Digiport, open". However, Cody's D-3 is seen pointing at the screen. This is most likely an error in the English dubbing, rather than in the animation.
- In a shot of the Digimon Emperor riding Airdramon, the gray part of his outfit on his abdomen is white.
- When Digmon uses his Rock Crackin' attack, his lower arms are yellow underneath where they should be black (this same error appears throughout the series, due to repeated use of the exact shot).
- Before Gatomon digivolves, as Kari turns to face Gatomon, her belt disappears for a brief moment.
- When Flamedramon uses his Knuckle Fire attack, his mask becomes blue for a brief moment.
- When Digmon falls after being struck by SkullGreymon, his eyes are completely green.
- Ken's farewell email to his parents is different in both versions:
- Japanese: "This world is no longer good enough. Goodbye. You're all insects."
- English: "Goodbye to all of you. Your trivial lives will plague me no longer. My destiny awaits."
- Nefertimon misnames her "Beam of Isis" technique as "Rosetta Stone".
- In the Dub, Ken's teacher asks for advice for playing the Donkey Madness video game while in the Japanese version he asks Ken to tutor his daughter.
- Agumon's last appearance as SkullGreymon was way back in the previous series, in the episode The Arrival of Skullgreymon.
- The English title of this episode is a reference to the folktale The Emperor's New Clothes as well as the Disney movie The Emperor's New Groove released later the same year in December.
- Izzy recalls the saying, "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread", first written by Alexander Pope in the poem An Essay on Criticism.
- When the DigiDestined arrive in the Digital World, Ken cooly remarks "They're here", which is a famous quote from the American horror film Poltergeist.
- Davis announces the episode title in the Japanese episode
- The map of the city they access on the computer features a small "manji" symbol (卍).