|The Crest of Sincerity |
(Maboroshi Senchō Kokatorimon!)
"Illusive Captain Cockatrimon!"
|(Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate||(Ja:) June 27, 1999|
(En:) October 6, 1999
|Written by||(Ja:) Yoshio Urasawa|
(En:) Rebecca Forstadt, John Ludin
|Directed by||(Ja:) Hiroki Shibata|
|View on Wikimon|
The kids are lured onto a luxurious, landfaring cruise ship, but when they decide to relax, the ship's captain turns out to be one of Etemon's evil henchmen.
The kids continue to walk through the desert and are quite tired, considering it's hotter than ever. Though Tai is feeling guilty because of his mistake with Agumon, Mimi tries to make him feel better. After Palmon fantasizes about shading everyone from the sunlight, the group sees a large cactus that turns out to be nothing more than a mirage. They soon run into a hologram version of Gennai and inform him about their troubles with the Crests. He informs them, rather cryptically, that they have to have all the crests before any of their Digimon can reach the Ultimate level.
Suddenly a large cruise ship appears and heads straight for them. A Numemon is seen on board and Mimi convinces him to let them on. The group quickly boards, excited to get out of the sun. They freshen up, feast and suntan aboard the luxury boat. However, the ship is run by Kokatorimon, a follower of Etemon, who begins taking out the kids and their Digimon, turning them to stone. The Numemon aid him in capturing the kids and Tai and Joe are captured, their Digimon are the first to be petrified and Kokatorimon steals their crests and tags. He turns Gabumon, Tentomon and Tokomon into stone next. When only the girls of the group and their Digimon are left, they are forced to escape from their shower. Kokatorimon informs the girls that their friends are baking out in the sun on the deck, and their Digimon counterparts have been turned to stone. Biyomon and Palmon both digivolve and with little effort manage to defeat Kokatorimon. The Digimon are returned to normal and they, along with the Numemon, escape the ship.
They think they've escaped until Kokatorimon, gravely injured, musters all his strength to steer the ship towards them through the desert. So the group hides behind a large cactus—one that isn't a mirage—which causes the ship to be catapulted into the distance, along with part of Etemon's Dark Network. It then turns out that Mimi's Crest of Sincerity is hidden on top of the cactus inside its flower, much to everyone's surprise.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonist(s), and italicized characters feature non-explicitly, e.g. voice, silhouette, image.)
|Giant Bird Digimon|
|Kokatorimon: "My cock-a-doodle-doo will blow out your eardrums! Mess with me and you'll be pecked into surrender!"|
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
"Man, this desert is so hot, even a lizard would need sunscreen."
- ―Matt complains as the group continues to cross the desert.
"Don't be so hard on yourself. Although, come to think of it, you really have made a super icky mess of things."
- ―Mimi always knows how to make Tai feel better.
"It's official. The sun has just turned Palmon's brain into a french fry."
- ―Matt's observation of Palmon's state of mind.
"We've done everything but give them an allowance."
- ―Joe on how well the kids have been taking care of their Digimon.
"You're sunk without these! I wouldn't get too upset, now that you got a couple of fine Digimon garden ornaments!"
- ― Kokatorimon rubs salt into Tai and Joe's wounds at losing their Digimon.
Kokatorimon: "Come back, you chickens!"
Sora: "Who's he calling 'chicken'?"
- —Sora jokes about Kokatorimon's choice of pun as the girls run.
"It's the Crest of Sincerity.. I don't deserve it, but if it will allow me to take care of Palmon I'll keep it.. "
- ― Mimi, facing the same responsibility as Tai is currently facing.
- Gabumon wishes he could remove his fur, but he did in an earlier episode, "Subzero Ice Punch!", to keep Matt warm.
- In several shots, the brown bands on Mimi's gloves are missing.
- In several shots, Palmon's fingers are completely purple.
- When Palmon imagines herself as Togemon, giving shade to the rest of the group, she is one of the Digimon resting in her own shadow (though this could be intended as a joke).
- In the forementioned shot, the black band on Tai's left arm is white, Gabumon's eyelids are red instead of yellow, the claws on his fur coat are white instead of violet, one of the feathers on Biyomon's tail is completely blue, the lightning symbols on the soles of Izzy's shoes and the green part of his laptop bag are missing, and the red and white of Joe's shoes are inverted.
- As the group run towards the cactus mirage, Patamon is seen flying with them, even though he is currently in his In-Training form, Tokomon.
- When Gennai talks about taking good care of the Digimon, the black band on Tai's left arm is missing.
- Soon after Gennai disappears, Biyomon speaks to Gabumon, and the ring on her left leg is pink instead of gray.
- As the cruise ship approaches the group, a side-shot of Tai, Matt and Sora shows Matt's arm to be the same color as his shirt.
- When the group notices Numemon on the cruise ship, Sora and T.K.'s shoes are misdrawn.
- When Mimi passes by Tai, the strap of her bag is the same color as her dress.
- When Matt, Izzy, T.K. and their Digimon are looking at the feast on the ship, the base of Gabumon's horn is blue.
- When the Gazimon finish their brief dance, their noses are the same color as their faces.
- When Etemon poses with his microphone one last time, his head disappears for a brief moment.
- When Kokatorimon takes Tai and Joe's tags away, he grabs Tai's with his left wing and Joe's with his right wing. Though when he's holding them up, they're the other way round.
- When Gabumon, Tentomon and Tokomon are hit by Kokatorimon's Petrifier attack, T.K.'s socks are the same color as his shorts.
- When Kokatorimon chases after Sora, Mimi and their Digimon, Tai's tag becomes the same color as Joe's tag for a brief moment.
- As the Numemon run away, the black band on Tai's left arm is missing, and Biyomon's fingers are blue instead of red.
- When the group is walking after leaving the cruise ship, most of their shoes are miscolored.
- When the group are running from the cruise ship, the kids' shoes are miscolored, the black band on Tai's left arm is missing, Biyomon's feet are colored pink instead of yellow for a brief moment.
- In a shot of Tai, Mimi and their Digimon looking at the crest, the black band on Tai's left arm is missing.
- When the group looks at Mimi's tag reacting, The back of T.K.'s shoes are miscolored.
- When Mimi is looking at her crest, part of the white string of her hat is colored black.
- The English dub slightly changes Mimi's interaction when recieving her crest at the end of the episode: instead of expression clear dislike toward the crest and fear that she might not be raising Palmon correctly, Mimi feels that she may not deserves it but decides to keep it for Palmon's sake.
- In the English dub, Mimi recognises her crest as the Crest of Sincerity, while in the original its name isn't revealed until "Shining Wings! Garudamon".
- The discovery of Mimi's crest in a blooming cactus could be foreshadowing Palmon's Ultimate form of Lillymon, who also emerges from a blooming cactus, Togemon, during her Digivolution sequence.
- When the ship bounces off the cactus, and Kokatorimon is in the air, he yells, "I can fly! I can fly!", in reference to the song from Disney's Peter Pan entitled "You Can Fly!".
- The grand staircase on the ship is identical to the one found on the RMS Titanic, including its iconic clock.
- Kokatorimon announces the episode title in the Japanese episode.
- When Biyomon digivolves in the English dub, the background music is slightly altered, featuring backing vocals in one section.
- The scene of the DigiDestined and their Digimon running from Kokatorimon's cruise ship is recycled from "Togemon in Toy Town".