|"The Crest of Kindness" |
|(Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate||(Ja:) August 27, 2000|
(En:) November 18, 2000
|Written by||(Ja:) Atsushi Maekawa|
(En:) Craig Doyle, Jeff Nimoy, Bob Buchholz
|Directed by||(Ja:) Takao Yoshizawa|
|View on Wikimon|
With Magnamon's newfound strength, the DigiDestined have a fighting chance against Kimeramon. The Digimon Emperor's reign of terror finally comes to an end, but at a painful price.
Drawn by Magnamon's power, Kimeramon returns. While the two fight, Ken is almost hit by one of Kimeramon's attacks. Ken commands Kimeramon to watch where he's aiming, but Kimeramon laughs and tries to attack him again, stopped only by Magnamon. Wormmon warns Ken that Kimeramon will turn on him, but Ken ignores him. The DigiDestined confront Ken and try to convince him that the Digital World is not some game but he doesn't listen. The battle between Magnamon and Kimeramon intensifies, causing the base to start to crash. The DigiDestined and Ken evacuate just before impact. Outside, Magnamon's power reserves run dry, allowing Kimeramon to grab him.
As Kimeramon begins to crush Magnamon, Wormon shouts words of encouragement to the Golden Armor Digimon. Angered, Ken whips him. Wormmon sorrowfully tells Ken that he has finally become as bad as the monster he created. He tells Ken that despite everything he had done to him and his fellow Digimon, he stuck with him because they were partners. As Wormmon keeps talking, both he and Magnamon start to glow. Wormmon tells Ken that he hopes he will one day return to his true self. With that, he knocks Ken off the Devidramon they are riding and steers it towards Kimeramon, freeing Magnamon. In response, Kimeramon strikes Wormmon away. Wormmon gives the last of his power to Magnamon, re-energizing him. As Kimeramon charges, Magnamon uses his Magna Explosion attack to utterly destroy him.
Ken, unable to believe he has lost is convinced that the others cheated and declares that he will "reset the Digital World" and start over. The DigiDestined are puzzled by what he means and he says he'll go home and erase the Digital world Data off his computer and create a new program which doesn't cheat. The DigiDestined finally manage to convince him that the Digital World isn't a game, and that its inhabitants are living beings. Remembering that he saw their Digimon at the soccer game in the real one, the realization hits Ken like a ton of bricks, and he tearfully discards his outfit, which disintegrates as each piece hits the ground. Kari finds the dying Wormmon, and Ken tearfully apologizes to him. As he does, the Crest of Kindness, which Davis found in the sand, flies over to him. Despite Ken's pleas, Wormmon dies in his arms. Ken starts crying because he lost Wormmon just like he lost his brother Sam. He leaves sobbing, despite Davis' plea that he should join the DigiDestined.
The DigiDestined return to the real world, just in time to see June has arrived at the camp. Matt's dad insists that Matt take June home on the bus, much to his horror. As they drive home, Tai and Izzy reflect on how the new DigiDestined have lived up to their responsibilities.
Back at the Ichijouji residence, Ken's parents cry happily over the return of their son, while Ken lies in his bed, the Crest of Kindness still in his hand.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonist(s), and italicized characters feature non-explicitly, e.g. voice, silhouette, image.)
Holy Knight Digimon
|Magnamon: "I am Magnamon, a Golden Armor Digimon that attacks with my Magna Blaster, and I look so good doing it too."|
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
Digimon Emperor: "Hey, Digi-fools. Do you honestly think that your new Digimon can beat me? He couldn't even be my flashlight!"
Davis: "Oh yeah?! Well sticks and stones may break my bones, but when Magnamon gets a hold of you, he'll kick your-!"
Digimon Emperor: "But! You didn't let me finish. He would make a good nightlight."
- —The Digimon Emperor catches a pun.
"Look at them! Are they trying to hurt you?...They're not your toys for some kind of a sick game, they're alive! They're not just data in a computer, they're living creatures like you and I!"
- —T.K. attempts to talk some sense into Ken.
"Digmon, the Drill of Knowledge! I used to say 'the Drill of Power', but I think this makes me sound smarter!"
- —Digmon locates the fourth wall and drills right through it.
"I hope you're finally proud of yourself...you've officially become worse than the monsters you've created. Whatever happened to that sweet kid I met a long time ago who had a dream to take over the Digital World? Okay, sure, it was a sick and twisted dream, but still, we had a lot of laughs together. What happened to the boy I was proud to call "Master"? Of course, you made me call you that. You've changed, Ken, but it's not too late for you. For some reason, you started capturing Digimon, and you turned them into your slaves instead of into your friends. I didn't agree, but I stuck by your side because I was your Digimon. And then, you started being cruel to me, the one who knows the true you. The others may know and fear you as the Digimon Emperor, but never forget that I know the real you...I'll always think of you for your kindness, Ken, no matter what happens. One day, I hope you'll realize that the real Ken isn't the Digimon Emperor, but the Ken that's my friend. And only a real friend would do this."
- —Wormmon can no longer stand by Ken's side.
Magnamon: "Wormmon, what are you doing!?"
Wormmon: "Magnamon, it's up to you now!!"
Wormmon: "Please, Magnamon, save Ken for me! Here's what little energy I have left. Use it!!"
Magnamon: "Wormmon's power has re-energized me!! MAGNA EXPLOSION!!"
- —Wormmon gives his life to save Ken.
Ken: "Your Digimon were all at the soccer game in the real world. I remember now. You are real, not just computer data. I can't believe that I never figured that out."
DemiVeemon: "Ya know, for an evil genius, you really are a slow learner, Ken."
Davis: "And you've constantly been abusing Digimon ever since you claimed to be the Digimon Emperor."
Ken: "I had no idea... What have I done? I thought my Dark Rings were a stroke of genius. I never realized I was causing pain. I made them work for me tirelessly, without ever giving them a break, and I was cruel to them beyond imagination! I'm a monster!! I can't believe what I've done!!"
T.K.: "It's hard to argue with you there, Ken. You've done some pretty horrible stuff."
Kari: "The important thing is you've realized what you've done, and it's not too late to make a fresh start."
Ken: "What have I done?!"
- —Ken finally accepts the truth.
Ken: "Wormmon, I'm sorry. Don't go... You're my best friend."
Wormmon: "You're my best friend, too. Goodbye, Ken."
Ken: "Wormmon, no!!"
- —Ken finally realizes just how much Wormmon means to him, but it's too late.
"Not again...! Wormmon's gone, just like my brother. I was helpless to save him, and now I can't save Wormmon, either. Why do I keep losing people? I came to the Digital World to get away from all those feelings, but I just can't escape...!"
- —Ken reveals why he came to the Digital World in the first place.
"Please, T.K., you can have my college money!"
- —Matt will do anything to avoid Jun.
- When the group are looking at Kimeramon's arm crashed through the wall, Hawkmon's fingers are white instead of black.
- When Kimeramon punches Magnamon with his left Devimon hand, the bandages on the hand cover its fingers.
- When the group are shown looking at the Digimon Emperor, the under part of Davis's jacket is red instead of blue.
- When the Digimon Emperor talks to the group, the gray part of his outfit on his abdomen is white.
- When T.K. is explaining to the Emperor that the Digimon are alive, one shot shows Armadillomon's nose the same color as his face.
- When Kari speaks to the Emperor in the base, Gatomon's right paw is colored white.
- Just after the Digimon Emperor hits Wormmon with his whip while riding Devidramon, part of the yellow stripe on his cape becomes blue for a brief moment.
- In one shot of Devidramon, his lower jaw is black instead of white.
- In a shot of Kimeramon holding Magnamon, Kimeramon's jaw is shown the same color as his helmet.
- In one shot of the group looking at the defeated Emperor, the gray cuff of his left leg appears to be black.
- All shots of Ken hitting Wormmon with his whip are removed from the English dub.
- When Ken is casting his Digimon Emperor outfit away, he's screaming out of pure anger in the original version. Though, in the English dub, he sounds more like he's crying.
- In the Italian dub, the flashback of Sam being killed was cut.
- When the Crest of Kindness flies towards Ken, in the original version, Davis told everyone that he heard a voice coming from the crest in the power room, telling him it wanted to return to its true owner. In the English dub, it's T.K. and Kari who speak at this point, as T.K. asks where Davis found it, comparing it to the crests of the previous series, and Kari somehow labels it as the Crest of Kindness.
- In the English dub, Davis invites Ken to join the DigiDestined after Kimeramon is defeated, while in the original, Davis told Ken to go home to his parents.
- When the DigiDestined confront Ken in the base, Cody compares Ken to Dr. Frankenstein, from the novel, Frankenstein.
- The man on the radio at the end of the episode signs off with "Good day", parodying the late American radio broadcaster, Paul Harvey.
- When Ken's base crashes, Halsemon says "Oh the humanity!", a well known phrase associated with a radio report concerning the Hindenburg Disaster.
- Wormmon announces the episode title in the Japanese episode.
- In the English dub, Digmon begins calling himself "The Drill of Knowledge" instead of "The Drill of Power". He claims that it makes him sound smarter.