| The Birth of Greymon |
(Bakuretsu Shinka! Greymon)
"Explosive Evolution! Greymon"
| (Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate|| (Ja:) March 14, 1999|
(En:) August 21, 1999
|Written by|| (Ja:) Satoru Nishizono|
(En:) Michael McConnohie, John Ludin
|Directed by||(Ja:) Hiroyuki Kakudou|
| Chief Anim.|
|View on Wikimon|
The kids find themselves on a beach lined with phone booths, where a destructive Shellmon attacks, and Agumon is left to save the day.
The seven DigiDestined and their Digimon fall from the outcropping that Kuwagamon had dislodged, and although each Digimon attempts to grab the humans, it is Gomamon and his "Marching Fishes" that are able to catch the humans by forming a raft. The kids arrive at shore and discover that their in-training pals are now in rookie form because they have Digivolved. The new Digimon introduce themselves and explain to the kids that they were able to digivolve because they shared energy with their partners.
The kids try to figure out where they are and what to do next. Tai tells the group that he saw a beach and ocean. The group follows him while Joe protests that they should stay put until the grown ups come get them. While walking, the kids start to get acquainted to their Digimon. They arrive at the beach and discover many telephone booths and try them. However only weird facts and nonsense are heard from the phones. The children then rest and are very hungry. They each take out what they have. Unfortunately, in the food category they only have T.K.'s snacks and emergency rations from Joe. They also rediscover the little devices on their pants or bags. Joe then splits the food but it can only be good for a day with the Digimon. The Digimon say that they are alright and that they can manage for themselves however Tai still gives some food to Agumon. Suddenly Shellmon appears, and is very angry that the children are on his territory. He begins to attack them.
So the seven chosen Digimon attempt to fight Shellmon, but none of their attacks work besides Agumon's since he ate and the rest are hungry. The other Digimon are not able to fight. Tai helps by making a diversion. Then Shellmon grabs Tai and traps Agumon under his paw. Right when Shellmon is going to attack everyone else, Tai's Digivice glows and Agumon digivolves to Greymon. Shellmon drops Tai, the two champion levels fight. Greymon defeats Shellmon, blasting him through the air and into the ocean. Greymon reverts back to Agumon who is now exhausted and hungry. The children quickly feed their Digimon. Joe is still trying to use the phone booths but they are all smashed. They all realize the Shellmon isn't dead and could still come back. They need to leave. The group then heads off, ready for whatever Digimon may be out there to fight!
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonist(s), and italicized characters feature non-explicitly, e.g. voice, silhouette, image.)
| Aquatic Digimon|
|Joe: "Attacked by two Digital Monsters in the same day...and doesn't Shellmon know I'm allergic to shellfish?"|
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
"Hey, Joe? Is there anything you don't complain about?"
- ―Matt snaps at Joe's constant whining.
Izzy: "But without a compass, we don't even know which way is north."
Tentomon: "Wait, I do!"
Izzy: "Well, which way is it?"
Tentomon: "It's the opposite of south."
- —The Tentomon method—solve a problem by adding another one.
"Use my phone card; the aliens can bill me."
- ―Izzy sticks to his alien theory.
Operator: "At the tone, the time will be exactly 45 miles per hour... and 90 seconds."
Tai: "Something's wrong or Mom's flipped."
- —Tai attempts to use one of the phone booths, only to find that it's acting strange...
Operator: "This number only exists in your imagination. Please hang up... and don't call back."
Matt: "What planet did I dial?"
- —...and Matt's phone booth isn't much better.
Izzy: "Does Joe always act like this?"
Tai: "Every single day."
- —Izzy and Tai discuss Joe's obsession with the phone booths.
Matt: "Why didn't you tell us you had a compass back when we needed one?"
Mimi: "I thought it might be kind of fun to see how far we could get without one. Besides, it's broken."
- —Mimi's got a very strange definition of the word "fun".
Joe: "Just what do you think you're doing?"
Tai: "I'm glad we never hear you complaining."
- —Tai answers Joe's question with sarcasm.
Izzy: "What's a Shellmon?"
Tentomon: "Something that gets mad for no reason."
- —Tentomon, not being very helpful.
- In several shots, the lower sides of Tentomon's head are colored green instead of red.
- In several shots, Palmon's fingers are completely purple.
- When the group yell upon Kuwagamon falling after them, Biyomon's feet are colored pink instead of yellow.
- When Joe suggests going back to where they were, the lower sides of Tentomon's head are colored gray instead of red.
- In a back shot of Izzy and Tentomon talking about the flora, Izzy's laptop is completely yellow.
- In a close-up shot of Tai after Agumon says there are no other humans, his glove is missing.
- In a shot of Izzy, Joe and Tentomon, the red cross on Joe's bag seems to be missing.
- In a shot of the others after Tai says he saw the ocean, Sora's hat has an extra outline, Izzy's laptop is completely yellow, Gabumon's nose is colored blue instead of black and Tentomon's upper arms are colored red instead of green.
- When Tai starts walking towards the ocean, his left glove disappears briefly when he holds his hand out.
- In a shot of Izzy and Tentomon walking, part of Tentomon's left claw is colored red instead of gray.
- In a shot of Tai, Sora and Agumon running towards the phone booths, Agumon's claws are colored gray instead of white.
- When Gomamon asks what Japan is, the green tips on Palmon's fingers are colored white.
- When Sora hangs up the phone in the booth, the receiver disappears.
- When Tai and the others watch Joe still in the phone booth, Gabumon's furcoat appears to be colored yellow instead of white (most of the arm is behind Matt).
- When Mimi looks at T.K.'s bag full of snacks, the upper part of the strap of her bag is the same color as her dress.
- When Mimi shows all the stuff she packed, the brown bands on her gloves are the same color as her gloves.
- In a close-up shot of Mimi, the strap of her bag is the same color as her dress again.
- Before Joe turns to look at Tai, his right wristband is missing.
- In a shot of Mimi and Palmon, the clip on Mimi's Digivice is the same color as her bag.
- When Joe comes to give his bag to Mimi, Palmon's fingers are completely purple and have a white line in middle.
- After Gabumon says he and the other Digimon can look for food themselves, Izzy's laptop is completely yellow, Joe seems to be drawn in front of Mimi despite being behind her and Gabumon's left ear is colored blue instead of white.
- In a shot of Tai and Agumon eating, the black band on Tai's left arm is missing.
- When Biyomon stands up, Sora's gloves are missing and her belt is the same color as her pants.
- When the group start running away, the pattern on Tai's shoes are missing, the blue sections on Gabumon's right arm disappear for a brief moment, and his toenails are violet instead of white.
- When Agumon stands up, Gabumon's eyelids are colored white instead of yellow.
- When Tai lands after being thrown away by Shellmon, the black band on his left arm is missing.
- When the Digimon are eating, the ring on Biyomon's left leg is colored pink instead of gray.
- In a still shot of the group near the end of the episode, Biyomon's feet are colored pink instead of yellow and Palmon's fingers are completely purple.
- When Matt says that their digimon do not stand a chance against Shellmon, Tentomon's breast plate is red.
- When the kids' Digimon reintroduce themselves as newly digivolved Rookie Digimon, the English dub shows footage of each digivolution, where originally, the respective Digimon would've been shown speaking.
- In the dub the children only stay on the beach because Matt suggests that their parents could possibly call them from the booth. In the original version they stay on the beach because they need to rest.
- In the original version Mimi doesn't ask Palmon about her hair. She compliments her own having a pretty flower, before asking her if she can perform photosynthesis. Palmon asks her if she truly knows what that is, and Mimi says no. Palmon then admits that she also has no idea.
- Greymon announces the episode title in the Japanese episode.
- When Gomamon performs his Marching Fishes attack in the English dub, he yells "Fish Bed".
- Izzy comes up with his alien theory in this episode (English dub), which he abandons in the later episode "Kabuterimon's Electro Shocker", when he makes his first discoveries about the Digital World.
- In the English dub, Sora calls "dibs on [phone] booth four", though ends up in the fifth booth—possible continuity error, though many reasons could be given for it (e.g. Izzy simply got there first).
- This is the only time in the English dub that Greymon announces his Nova Blast attack as "Digi Nova Blast".