Renamon is a fictional character from the Digimon franchise. Renamon is a main character in Digimon Tamers and related media, as the Digimon Partner of Rika Nonaka. According to Chiaki J. Konaka's notes, the Digimon was to be named Lunamon. Though the plan fell though and the name arose to be Renamon. Renamon and the many digivolution forms portrayed in Digimon tamers are inspired from the Kitsune and other fox spirits of Asian myth. The name "Renamon" is derived from "Renard", the French word for Fox. Although her mega form, Sakuyamon, is clearly a female, the German dub of Digimon Tamers portrays Renamon, Kyuubimon, and Taomon as male.
Renamon is tall for a Rookie Digimon.
Renamon became Rika's partner after Rika received her D-Power, shortly after a Digimon Cards tournament. Many Digimon seemed to want Rika as their Tamer, but Rika said she only wanted one strong Digimon as a partner. Then a blue card appeared, and Rika swiped it through her Card Reader, and it became her own D-Power. Rika then wished that Renamon was her partner, and Renamon remained as Rika's companion throughout the Tamers season.
At first, Renamon's view on humans was that humans were nothing more but an aid for battle and digivolution for Digimon. The pair had a distant relationship, similar to that of a noble and a samurai retainer; Renamon's only allegiance at first is to Rika and it is absolute. However, as time passed, the bond between Digimon and Tamer strengthened throughout various battles, and through these endeavors, their friendship grew stronger. This was first realized after Renamon, critically injured in a battle with a Dokugumon, was able to evolve into Kyubimon following Rika's outburst of emotion at the loss of her partner. It reached its zenith when their emotional ties enabled the final Biomerge that sparked Sakuyamon's birth. While Renamon liked to battle enemies, much like an honorable samurai would, Renamon would respect the fact that there were some battles she didn't have to fight and wouldn't interfere if Renamon deemed it unnecessary.
Renamon forms friendships with Guilmon and Terriermon but initially struggles in befriending Guilmon, due to his childish personality. Renamon was seen to be very empathetic with Impmon due to his struggles.She seems somewhat concerned for Impmon's safety and upon leaving the Digital World, Renamon feels the urgency to rescue Impmon despite the issues he had caused.
- Diamond Storm (狐葉楔 Koyousetsu?, lit. "Fox Leaf Arrowheads"): Throws sharpened leaves at the opponent.
- Power Paw (藤八拳 Touhakken?, lit. "Tohachi Game"): Shrouds her paws in ghostly flames, then delivers a powerful kick.
While in Ryo Akiyama's party, Renamon will degenerate to Relemon when her YP depletes.
Viximon is the In-Training form of Renamon.
Kyubimon is Renamon's Champion level form. Rika had wanted Renamon to digivolve for a long time, but wasn't able to achieve it. However, when the two were attacked by a Dokugumon, Renamon protected Rika, thus taking the full blast of Dokugumon's attack. Rika, who had never accepted Renamon as a living creature before, cries out in sorrow over Renamon's sacrifice. This emotional response caused Renamon to digivolve to Kyubimon, who was now able to defeat the Spider Digimon.
- Fox Tail Inferno (鬼火玉 Onibidama?, lit. "Will-o-Wisp Ball"): The blue flames on Kyubimon's tails become brighter, and ghostly faces similar to that of DemiMeramon's appear on them. The faces then become small fireballs which Kyubimon launches at her opponents to destroy them in an explosion of energy as well as trap them in a cage of blue flames which singes them.
- Dragon Wheel (狐炎龍 Koenryuu?, lit. "Fox Flame Dragon"): Kyubimon starts to spin very fast, which causes the flames on her body to erupt into a fiery inferno. This turns Kyubimon's body into a ball of swirling blue fire. When in this state, Kyubimon summons a mystical dragon, which emerges from her body to destroy her enemies.
Youkomon is an alternate Champion form of Renamon.
In the D-Ark Version 2.0, D-Ark Ver.15th, and D-Power virtual pets, Renamon can digivolve to Youkomon.
Taomon is Renamon's Ultimate form.
Taomon fights by summoning various spells and weapons to help her harness the powers of the magical energy that flows through the universe. Taomon first appeared to fight the Ox Deva, Vajramon. Vajramon had asked to talk with Renamon, and the two briefly returned to the Digital World. Vajramon tried to convince Renamon to join the Devas but when Renamon turns Vajramon down, Vajramon was enraged and attacked Renamon. With Rika's aid, Renamon was able to Digivolve to Taomon, defeating Vajramon easily and destroying him with the Talisman Of Light.
- Talisman of Light (梵筆閃 Bonhitsusen?, lit. "Sanskrit Pen Flash"): A large, magical calligraphy brush emerges from her long sleeves, which can be used as both a weapon and a magical staff. The brush can be used to paint mystical symbols into the air, which release beams of pure light energy that can decimate all but the strongest of Digimon.
- Thousand Spells (狐封札 Kofuusatsu?, lit. "Fox Sealing Paper"): Leaps high into the air with her sleeve-covered arms outstretched. Taomon then shoots thousands of magical, red spell talisman papers from them. The spell papers can bind enemies to a spot as well as combust in a fiery explosion.
- Talisman Star (塵染 Rajas?): Creates a symbol of razor sharp, red mystical energy symbols in taomons hand which fly in a boomerang-like pattern when thrown. Upon impact, enemies glows white with light energy while being torn apart.
- Talisman Spell (オン On?): Throws a magical red spell paper into the air, which is used to summon and manifest various magical effects. This includes a spherical shield of impenetrable magical energy, as well as releasing small spectral blasts.
- Trinity Force (Trinity Burst): In this combined attack with WarGrowlmon and Rapidmon, Taomon turns into a crystal-like form, then a beam of energy, and then combines with the other two digimon (also in the form of energy beams at this point) into an energy arrow that resembles a crane.
In the D-Ark Version 2.0, D-Ark Ver.15th, and D-Power virtual pets, Youkomon can digivolve to Doumon.
Sakuyamon appeared thereafter in almost every battle against the D-Reaper. Near the end of the series, Sakuyamon passed her energy to Justimon to help him defeat the Cable-Reaper, which only proved to be in vain.
She later helps fight the Parasimon.
- Spirit Strike (飯綱? lit. "Izuna"): Attacks the opponent with the four kuda-gitsune carried on her waist.
- Amethyst Mandala (金剛界曼荼羅 Kongoukai Mandara?, lit. "Diamond Realm Mandala"): Strikes the ground with the Kongou Shakujou, spreading a purifying barrier that exorcises evil spirits.
- Twin Blades of Beauty and of Truth: Uses the Kongou Shakujou to create two pink rings of energy around herself which form a barrier of cherry blossom petals.
- Crystal Sphere: Creates a spherical barrier around herself.
- Amethyst Wind: Unleashes a storm of purifying cherry blossoms.
- Fox Drive (浄炎狐舞 Jouenkobu?, lit. "Purifying Flame Fox Dance"): Leaps high into the air and uses the Kongou Shakujou to create a sphere of mystical blue flames.
Sakuyamon Maid Mode
Sakuyamon Maid Mode is Sakuyamon's digivolved form.
In the D-Ark Ver.15th virtual pet, Sakuyamon can digivolve to Sakuyamon Maid Mode.
In the D-Ark Version 2.0, D-Ark Ver.15th, and D-Power virtual pets, Doumon can digivolve to Kuzuhamon.
Kuzuhamon Maid Mode
Kuzuhamon Maid Mode is Kuzuhamon's digivolved form.
In the D-Ark Ver.15th virtual pet, Kuzuhamon can digivolve to Kuzuhamon Maid Mode.
Notes and references
- Digimon Encyclopedia: Digimon Tamers Cast List
- Digimon Tamers: Brave Tamer and Digimon Series Memorial Book: Digimon Animation Chronicle
- D-Ark Ver.15th
- http://www.konaka.com/alice6/tamers/character-e.html Digimon tamers: Character Planning Notes
- http://www.konaka.com/alice6/tamers/plan-e.html Digimon Tamers: Concept Planning Notes
- "Tohachi-Ken", also known as "Kitsune-Ken", is a hand game invented by Tohachi Okumura during the Tokugawa Shogunate. It is similar to rock-paper-scissors, and uses gestures for a daimyo, rifle, and fox.
- On (オン?): Refers to the spherical shield attack only in the Japanese version.
- This attack is named "Dragon Helix" in Digimon Rumble Arena.
- Izuna is a form of sorcery, practiced by the Izuna Shugen cult of Mount Iizuna, which utilizes Kuda-gitsune.
- This attack is named "Talisman Sphere" in Digimon Rumble Arena.