|"Now Apocalymon" |
(Saigo no Ankoku Dejimon)
"The Final Dark Digimon"
|(Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate||(Ja:) March 19, 2000|
(En:) June 24, 2000
|Written by||(Ja:) Genki Yoshimura|
(En:) Jeff Nimoy, Bob Buchholz
|Directed by||(Ja:) Hiroki Shibata|
|View on Wikimon|
The group come face to face with the true enemy, and quickly discover that defeating him will be no easy task when they're robbed of their power and converted into data.
The DigiDestined fall into darkness before stopping in midair. Gennai then contacts them and tells them of an ancient evil that the original DigiDestined defeated and that a similar evil has returned and created the Dark Masters. The connection is broken and Apocalymon appears. He reveals that he was created from the pain and suffering that is caused when Digimon attempt to digivolve, but ended up disappearing. He says he hates the DigiDestined for being able to be happy when he is forced to be miserable and attacks them using abilities of the enemies that they've defeated in the past, such as the Dark Masters, Devimon, and Myotismon. Apocalymon then uses "Reverse Digivolve" to return all the Digimon to Rookie level (with the exception of Gatomon). When the Digimon attempt to digivolve again, Apocalymon destroys the DigiDestined children's Crests.
The children begin to lose confidence and Apocalymon uses that fear against them to trap them and their Digimon in a binary prison in the world of data. The children begin to lose hope, but their Digimon encourage them, reminding them of all the apparently unbeatable odds they overcame. They all realize that they've grown up and become stronger, better people and the symbols of their Crests begin to glow over their hearts. They realize that they never needed the Crests and that they had the power inside them all along. Their Digimon all digivolve to their highest levels. They are then capable of reassembling themselves before Apocalymon, who reacts in shock and disbelief that they escaped the Data World, and prepare for the final battle.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonist(s), and italicized characters feature non-explicitly, e.g. voice, silhouette, image.)
|Apocalymon: "I am Apocalymon, a Mutant Digimon. My Darkness Zone attack transforms my enemy into nothingness. I have the power to turn everything I touch into total darkness."|
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
|MegaKabuterimon (Red)||4||Tentomon||12||Kabuterimon||13||MegaKabuterimon (Red)|
"Uh, this may be a stupid question, but how come we're not still falling?"
- —Izzy's ever present curiosity.
"Don't look now, but it's pretty dark."
- —Joe pointing out the obvious about their bizarre surroundings.
"Just my luck. The second I start enjoying my vacation, another monster tries to destroy the world."
- —That is a real problem isn't it, Joe?
"I am the ultimate evil, complete with hot and cold running water."
- —Apocalymon's first words to the DigiDestined.
Sora: "You're entirely made up of grief and sorrow? How sad for you."
Apocalymon: "Sure, rub it in."
- —Apocalymon doesn't take kindly to Sora's words.
"Why should you get to laugh while I am forced to cry? Why do you get to taste the best life has to offer while all I do is choke on its leftovers? Answer me this! Why do all of you get the pizza while I get the crust?!"
- —Apocalymon loves his metaphors.
"Boy, this guy really holds a grudge."
- —Izzy comments on Apocalymon's insanity.
"Wait. Why am I laughing? I'm supposed to be depressed!"
- —Apocalymon catches himself out of character.
"That was MetalSeadramon with his classic River of Power. And now, here's Myotismon with his Number One Hit: Crimson Lightning!"
- —Apocalymon can apparently mimic a DJ as well.
"I hope you learned your lesson! Always save your receipts! The warranty was probably still good on those things."
- —Apocalymon after destroying the Crests
"Isn't this usually the time when one of us comes up with a brilliant idea?"
- —Joe waiting for a miracle after the destruction of the crests.
Izzy: "Fascinating! Our bodies are being broken down into little bits of digital information!"
- —Izzy's thirst for knowledge still baffles Tai sometimes.
"I tried positive thinking once, and I was positive about one thing: I positively hated it!"
- —Joe finally explains his constant pessimism.
"So what that we're bits of data, we have no tags or crests, we can't digivolve, and we're facing the most powerful enemy of all time, I don't see what the problem is."
- -Biyomon not seeing the severity of the situation.
"You know, Izzy, when I first met you, I thought you were just one of those computer geeks. But after I got to know you, I realized, you are one of those computer geeks. And I'm glad you are! Cause where would the rest of us be without you? "
- —Tentomon really knows how to read people.
Gabumon: "As for you, Matt-"
Matt: "You don't have to say anything. I know."
Gabumon: "There was that time when-"
Matt: "Yeah, that's right, I remember"
Gabumon: "And then you and I-"
Matt: "I know."
Gabumon: "Remember when we-"
Matt: "Didn't you hear me? I said you don't have to say anything."
- —Matt's never been good at expressing his feelings, even to Gabumon.
Agumon: "You and I knew from the beginning that together we made an invincible team. Right, Tai?"
Tai: "You got that right. Of course, I probably could've taken care of Etemon without you, but it was nice having you around. You did get me out of a few jams."
- —Tai is as humble as ever, but Agumon knows exactly what he means.
"We can't give up now because if we do, what was the whole point of searching for Kari in the first place?"
- —Gatomon raises an excellent point.
"I don't know about you, but I'm not ready to quit yet!"
- —Tai is ready to make a stand.
Kari: "Then the Light inside me is for everyone!"
TK: "And everyone's Hopes are my Hopes!"
Sora: "Mine's Love!"
- —The Digidestined activate their crest power.
"You're dealing with the new and improved DigiDestined!"
- —Tai once again leads the attack against Apocalymon.
- When Angemon digivolves to MagnaAngemon, "Warp Digivolve" is heard in the background, rather than "Digivolve into Ultimate".
- When Apocalymon uses "Reverse Digivolve", the team mentions that he turned everyone into Rookies, despite Gatomon remaining a Champion.
- In several shots, Izzy, Joe, and T.K.'s Digivices are either miscolored or missing.
- When the partner Digimon catch up with the falling DigiDestined, the red areas coming out of the blue orb on MegaKabuterimon's back are the same color as the orb.
- As Apocalymon's dodecahedron opens up, when the view changes to zoom in on his upper body rising up, the dodecahedron disappears below him for a moment.
- When Apocalymon is shown in the Digimon Analyser, the holes in his dodecahedron, where his claws emerge, are filled in with blue rather than black.
- In a shot of Apocalymon's upper body where his claws are visible, the red and green tubes coming out of his humanoid form are the wrong way round.
- Just before Angewomon defends Kari from Apocalymon's River of Power attack, Kari's whistle and the buttons on her shirt are missing.
- When Patamon and T.K. are reminiscing, T.K.'s sleeves are the same dark green color as his torso.
- When Tentomon and Izzy are reminiscing, the lower sides of Tentomon's head are green instead of red.
- When the group begins to regain confidence, a shot of Izzy and Tentomon shows Tentomon's upper arms and thighs as red instead of green.
- When the DigiDestined and their Digimon come together, Tentomon's right thigh is red instead of green.
- In another shot of the whole group, after discovering the power of the Crests within themselves, Gabumon's toenails are violet instead of white.
- When the DigiDestined come back from the data world, some of Apocalymon's claws are missing.
- The English dub omits all shots of Apocalymon cutting himself with his claws, as well as the scars and blood left by the cutting.
- The English dub has Apocalymon see himself as his own being, in contrast to the original in which he is a Legion-style entity embodying all slain Digimon, who may or may not be considered a Digimon himself.
- The English dub omits Apocalymon cursing the light as he attacks the DigiDestined, as well as the spell he chants to turn them into data, "Ru-na-ni-ta-dē-ha-chi-ta-e-ma-o" (るなにたでーはちたえまお?) ("Omaetachi ha dēta ni naru" (お前たちはデータになる lit. "You become data."?) in reverse).
- The English dub replaces the piano version of "Butter-Fly" played when the DigiDestined regain their confidence with an unnamed orchestral piece.
- The English dub adds dialogue as the DigiDestined reminisce on their experiences to give a stronger sense of reflection and emphasize each child's personality.
- The title for this episode is a reference to the film Apocalypse Now.
- When Tai says that Apocalymon could be a "giant cube puzzle," he is referring to the Rubik's Cube.
- Kari uses a variation of the often misquoted line from the 1948 film The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, saying "Crests? We don't need no stinking Crests".
- Apocalymon announces the episode title in the Japanese episode.
- Whilst Gennai is speaking of the original DigiDestined, their silhouettes appear to be those of Tai, T.K., Sora, Izzy, Matt and their respective Digimon.
- On Netflix, the episode is incorrectly listed as Now Aploycomon.