|"My Sister's Keeper" |
(Bakugeki Shirei! Mugendramon)
"Bombing Mission! Mugendramon"
|(Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate||(Ja:) February 13, 2000|
(En:) April 29, 2000
|Written by||(Ja:) Satoru Nishizono|
(En:) Ardwight Chamberlain, Sean Abley
|Directed by||(Ja:) Hiroki Shibata|
|View on Wikimon|
When Kari becomes dangerously ill, Tai sets out to find some medicine in the adjacent city, and Izzy's laptop manages to attract some unwanted attention.
Tai’s group is crossing a desert when Kari collapses in the heat from sickness, The others manage to put her under a bench with some shade. Tai begins to get upset and have flashbacks to a time he and Kari were younger.Kabuterimon flies them to a nearby city, and Izzy uses his laptop to locate a pharmacy where they can find medicine. This proves a drastic mistake, however, as Machinedramon is given their location every time they plug the laptop in. Machinedramon sends his Digimon minions out to all the locations in which the pharmacies were found.
Meanwhile, after finding a pharmacy, Izzy plugs in his computer yet again to find the best specific medicine for Kari, still unknowingly, giving Machinedramon his exact location. They find the medicine, only to be ambushed by Machinedramon's army. Izzy and Tai manage to escape, but Tai loses control in impatience and snaps at Izzy. He feels responsible for his sister, and he reminisces of another time his sister was sick.
Tai was much younger, as was Kari. All he wanted to do was play soccer, despite being told to watch his sister at home because she was ill. Focusing just on himself, but not wanting to leave his little sister alone, he brought her along to the park where he wanted to kick a soccer ball around with her. He began to get frustrated that she can't kick it well, and tried to teach her. Not long after, she collapsed, and an ambulance came. Tai was harshly scolded by his mother because Kari nearly died of pneumonia. When Kari came home, she apologized to Tai for not being able to kick the ball right. Tai took the lesson to heart, and decided to look after Kari from that point on.
After Tai calms down, they at last figure out they were being tracked by the computer systems. Izzy quickly adjusts the program so they cannot find them, but this only causes Machinedramon to order "Operation Elimin-8": having Megadramon and Gigadramon destroy the whole city to flush out the DigiDestined.
Fearing the worst, Tai and Izzy meet back up with Sora, T.K., and Kari, who escaped the building they hid in before Megadramon could destroy it. Unfortunately, Machinedramon arrives, forcing the group to hide in a nearby building. Sneering that the chase is part of the fun in a hunt, Machinedramon destroys the building, and the DigiDestined fall into a deep void...
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonist(s), and italicized characters feature non-explicitly, e.g. voice, silhouette, image.)
|Agumon: "Mekanorimon—evil robots with one job: blasting Digimon. I suggest we get out of here, and fast!"|
|Agumon: "They've brought along a friend: Tankmon—an armor-plated bully with a sneeze like a cannon! If you think the other guys are bad, these creeps have more firepower than a volcano!"|
|Tentomon: "That's Megadramon—a fully digivolved flying fiend with devastating destructive powers! Those missles of his can level a city block in the blink of an eye!"|
|Tentomon: "The other one's Gigadramon—if anything, he's more powerful than his buddy! Believe me—if these guys were shooting at us, we wouldn't still be here talking about it!"|
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
"One thing is certain. Only a cactus could love this place."
- —Sora comments on the desert road.
Tai: "I wasn't paying attention. We probably shouldn't have even brought her along."
Izzy: "Huh?! What are you talking about?! We had to bring her! We need her if we wanna save the DigiWorld! She's one of the DigiDestined! Have you forgotten that?!"
Tai: "Not at all, but her being sick...We should have left her some place safe. We should have split up so someone could take care of her while the others looked."
Izzy: "Split up?! Tai, this isn't like you!"
Tai: "I'm just a little... worried about her. It's all a part of what I do to be a good leader, Izzy."
- —Izzy can see that Tai isn't being his normal self.
"This place is weird."
- —Izzy's opinion of their refuge.
"No wonder this hospital's so clean! There's no sick people!"
- —Agumon realizing the obvious.
"That's a doctor's kid for ya! There's never one around when you need him!"
- —Tai's frustrated that Joe's not there to help them find the right medicine.
"Izzy shoots, he scores!"
- —Tentomon on Izzy coming up with a genius plan.
"Lucky we're in a hospital 'cause it looks like we might need one."
- —Tai and the others are faced with an army of Mekanorimon.
"I'm really getting tired of that sound."
- —Tai is annoyed by the metal army's chanting.
Izzy: "It's all my fault! I was giving away our location every time I logged on with my computer! How could I have not thought of that before?"
Tai: "Good question! Now we're stuck here! Meanwhile, Kari's getting sicker and sicker because of you!"
Agumon: "Stop it, Tai! What's come over you?"
Tai: "I'm sorry, Izzy!"
- —Tai releases his frustration on Izzy, as Tentomon and Agumon try to keep them from fighting.
Izzy: "Hey, Tai! This isn't your normal behavior."
Tai: "It's Kari, she almost died once before because of me."
Izzy, Tentomon and Agumon: "Huh!?"
Tai: "It happened when she was four or five, just a little kid. She stayed home from kindergarten one day because she was sick. I mean, I knew she was sick, but all I could think about on the way home was playing soccer."
Young Tai: "Hey, I'm home!"
Tai: "I wanted to go out and play, but I didn't want to leave her by herself, so I took her outside with me. She seemed okay, really she did."
Young Tai: "Now watch me, just like that. No, that's not right...Kari? Kari!"
Mrs. Kamiya: "What could you have been thinking!? You knew she was sick!"
Tai: "She ended up with pneumonia, or something. She almost didn't make it, but what really kills me is what she said when they brought her home from the hospital. The first words out of her mouth..."
Young Kari: "Tai, I'm sorry I can't kick the ball very good. You'll probably never want to play with me again."
- — Tai reveals why he is determined to help his ill sister
Tai: "That's her, that's Kari. She never thinks about herself. It doesn't matter if she feels bad or if she's bummed out about other stuff, she's always worried about the other kids. She wouldn't be sick, she'd be just fine if she never came to this stupid place, but she came because she knew that we needed her help. You never thought about what she wanted. She never does!"
Izzy: "Because she cares."
Tai: "She's a kid! I'm her big brother, I'm supposed to look after her and protect her and think of what's best for her! That's what I'm supposed to do!"
Agumon: "Oh Tai..."
- —A crying Tai continues to worry about his sister, as Izzy and Agumon try to comfort him.
Hagurumon: "Does this mean what I think it does, my lord sir?"
Machinedramon: "That you have the brains of a tin can?"
- —Machinedramon can match wits with the best of them, especially when it comes to insulting his own lackeys.
Megadramon: "Can I blow something up?"
Gigadramon: "I don't know, can you?"
- — Everyone has their hobbies
- There are many errors with the city map in this episode. For example, when Izzy's laptop map shows him to be in one place, Machinedramon's map shows him elsewhere. Also, in the English dub, the Hagurumon track Izzy's laptop to "sector B-17", shown to be on the left side of the map, though when "sectors A and B" are destroyed, they're both shown to be on the right-hand side.
- When Kari coughs while talking to Tai, her face disappears for a brief moment.
- The English dub cuts out a moment when Tai is slapped by his mother (in the past), though there are still obvious signs of it taking place, such as Tai's red cheek, and his mother's raised hand.
- After the 9/11 incident in the United States, 2001, all clips of Megadramon and Gigadramon destroying the city were removed in subsequent reruns of the English dub. However the clips have been reinserted into the UK DVD release.
- In the English version of the flashback, Kari's illness is explicitly stated to be pneumonia, while in the original, it was never said..
- In the original version of the flashback, Tai says the reason he thought it was safe enough to take Kari outside was that she had been strong enough to sit up and watch TV. In the dub, this is changed to him saying that he had mostly been thinking about soccer on his way back from school and he took Kari with him because he didn't want her to be home alone.
- The title is a reference to the biblical story of Cain and Abel, in which Cain asks, "Am I my brother's keeper?" after killing his brother and God asks him where Abel is.
- When they reach the city, T.K. exclaims "Is that America?!"
- Some of the buildings in Machinedramon's city are famous landmarks. The heroes pass over the Chrysler Building, Saint Peter's Basillica, and the Arc de Triomphe.
- After Izzy tries to throw Machinedramon off via computer network, they leave what seems to be the Westminster Abbey, located in London.
- Tai also says "It looks like one of those theme parks in Florida." He may be referring to Epcot.
- There's an advertisement for Nimolta on one of the buildings. This is an anagram for Minolta, a Japanese camera manufacturer.
- Machinedramon announces the episode title in the Japanese episode.
- Mekanorimon is one of three Digimon analyzed twice in the series, the other ones being Andromon and Kuwagamon.
- In Tai's flashbacks, Kari isn't wearing her whistle.