|"Ghost of a Chance" |
|(Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate||(Ja:) July 30, 2000|
(En:) November 11, 2000
|Written by||(Ja:) Genki Yoshimura|
(En:) Craig Doyle
|Directed by||(Ja:) Hiroki Shibata|
|View on Wikimon|
It's been four years to the day since Myotismon's defeat and the death of an old friend—a friend who has returned to give the DigiDestined a warning of things to come.
As the anniversary of Myotismon's defeat approaches, people at the Fuji TV Station start quitting because they see a ghost everywhere. When the whole team, old and new Digi-Destined, go to the TV Station, they find out that the ghost is actually Wizardmon, the Digimon that sacrificed himself for Kari and Gatomon to allow them to defeat Myostismon three years ago! He tells Gatomon that "Kindness will release the Golden Radiance" and "Kindness alone will not be able to defeat the darkness." He disappears, leaving the Digi-Destined to their very confused thoughts.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonist(s), and italicized characters feature non-explicitly, e.g. voice, silhouette, image.)
No Digimon are analysed in this episode.
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
Davis: "You guys have a date to do fractions? What gives?"
T.K.: "No, Davis. That's a date, not a fraction."
- —Davis is his usual not-so-smart self.
"There's enough of us here to start our own soccer league."
- —T.K. comments on the size of their DigiDestined team.
"You guys have to stick together, no matter what. Remember that friendship is the key, or you'll all be toast."
- —Tai giving the younger DigiDestined some sound advice.
"I haven't been here in a while. It's...the same. Including the smell of your socks."
- —T.K. visits his father and brother's apartment.
"First, I'll take a little stroll over to our old refrigerator and, uh, take a peak at what's...not expired."
- —Matt may know how to cook, but he hasn't got much to work with.
T.K.: "Dad, what's the matter?"
Mr. Ishida: "I don't even know how to explain it."
Matt: "Don't tell me, Myotismon destroyed the station again."
- —Matt recalls the last time his dad had trouble at work.
Matt: "You've flipped your lid!"
T.K.: "Don't mind him, Dad. He's just not a happy little buffalo."
- —Matt is more skeptical of their father's sanity than T.K. is.
Izzy: "Come on, Davis. Give it a try."
Davis: "Wha—! Who, me?"
Kari: "No, silly, he means the other boy with goggles."
Davis: "Oh, where is he?"
- —Kari should know better than to use sarcasm with Davis.
T.K.: "It's the ghost!"
Kari: "Who ya gonna call?"
- —The DigiDestined remember the '80s.
Davis: "He doesn't stand a ghost of a chance!"
Kari: "Good one."
- —Title drop!
"Your enemy is not only the Digimon Emperor, but a much greater darkness. The darkness...it cannot be defeated with strength alone. You must return the one wrapped in darkness to his true self...Kindness will release the golden radiance."
- —Wizardmon gives the DigiDestined a few clues to help them save Digital World.
"That Wizardmon. What a friend. Even from beyond he still continues to watch over me."
- —A grateful Gatomon remembering Wizardmon with Kari by her side.
- In the English dub, T.K. says that August 1st is "the anniversary of when the DigiDestined defeated Myotismon", though it's actually the day they first went to (and returned from) the Digital World - Myotismon was defeated two days later.
- When the original DigiDestined meet the new DigiDestined, the knot on the back of Kari's scarf is missing.
- When Veemon, Armadillomon and Hawkmon rush in to save Gatomon from the ghost of Wizardmon, a previous animation frame of Hawkmon's beak remains on-screen.
- When Veemon, Armadillomon and Hawkmon gasp at seeing Wizardmon, Hawkmon has two canine teeth in his beak, one of which is colored black. Armadillomon also has four canine teeth in his mouth.
- In the English dub, a moment is removed near the beginning when one of the men working at the TV station takes out a cigarette.
- In the original episode, when explaining why the computer room will soon be inaccessible, T.K. says that it's going to be used for summer computer classes, whilst in the English dub, he says that it's going to be the new detention room.
- The DigiDestined reflect generally on the events of the previous series, Digimon Adventure.
- Sora, Mimi and Yolei visit Tokyo Tower, where Sora and Mimi fought one of Myotismon's henchmen, SkullMeramon, in the episode Gatomon Comes Calling.
- Matt and TK come across a store in Shibuya where they met Pumpkinmon and Gotsumon in the episode Out on the Town.
- Wizardmon died after taking an attack from Myotismon in the episode Wizardmon's Gift.
- The main events foretold in Wizardmon's prophecy take place in the episode The Crest of Kindness. "Kindness" refers to Ken and the Crest of Kindness, "golden radiance" refers to the Digi-Egg of Miracles, and "the darkness" presumably refers to Myotismon, who reveals himself to the DigiDestined near the end of the series.
- Matt and TK's dad, Hiroaki, has a "Sonic" CD player, a parody of the Sony brand.
- Sora, Mimi and Yolei visit Tokyo Tower (see above).
- As Wizardmon's ghost flies around the ceiling of the TV station, Kari says, "Who ya gonna call?"; a catchphrase from the film Ghostbusters.
- Kari announces the episode title in the Japanese episode.
- In Matt's apartment, there's a picture on the wall displaying his Japanese name, Yamato.
- This is the first time in this season that we see a digivolution from In-Training to Rookie level. It's also the first time we see Veemon, Hawkmon and Armadillomon in the real world.