|Publisher(s)||Bandai Namco Entertainment|
|Release date(s)||(WW:) 2021|
Microsoft Windows (Steam)
Digimon Survive (デジモンサヴァイブ Dejimon Savaibu?) is a survival role-playing video game developed by Witchcraft and published by Bandai Namco Entertainment. Originally scheduled for 2019, Survive was instead delayed into 2020. On July 29, 2020 Toei Animation Europe stated Survive would release in Europe in January 2021 however this was removed from their website on August 4. On October 8, 2020, Kazumasa Habu stated Survive was delayed again as the game system for was being reviewed and they had to redo their schedule from scratch. Bandai confirmed on October 15 that it had been delayed to 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Takuma Momozuka, Minoru Hyuuga, Aoi Shibuya, Saki Kimijima, Ryou Tominaga, Shuuji Kayama, Kaito Shinonome, Miu Shinonome, and others are on a historical studies extracurricular activities camp during spring break. On the second day Takuma, Minoru and Aoi visit a famous local temple to investigate the legend of the "Beast Gods" (Kemonogam) where a festival to celebrate them will take place. As they explore, they come across Koromon, then hear screaming. Koromon and the group run to the source and find their class mates being attacked by other Digimon. Koromon digivolves to Agumon and scares the Digimon away. It is at this point, that Takuma and the others discover they are in another world.
The inspiration for the game was taken from the bonds between characters and their Digimon partners from the various Digimon anime series. The staff wanted players to experience this for themselves by making choices that would effect the Digimon's growth. In addition, game producer Kazumasa Habu talked to Digimon Adventure director, Hiroyuki Kakudo about his interpretation of the origins of Digimon, that being that Digimon were not born as a result of humans creating computers, and instead always existed, living alongside humans, though in another dimension, becoming visible to humans once they created computers and digital technology. Digimon may have been manifested through magic or sorcery, through the ancient art of Onmyōdō, subjugating them as shikigami, yōkai, or demons, but is now accomplished digitally, making them Digital Monsters. This inspired Habu to make Digimon Survive.
The western version of Digimon Survive has English, German, French, Spanish and Italian subtitles.
Digimon Survive is a Survival RPG. Player choices influence the direction of the story, including the Digimon's digivolution process. Multiple playthroughs can result in different paths and different digivolutions. The game will feature multiple endings and should wrong choices be made, characters will be killed. The game is split into multiple types of gameplay, such as "Drama Parts", "Search Action", "Free Action", and "Free Battle". During "Drama Parts" the game proceeds as a text adventure to tell the story. In "Search Actions", the player searches for a way to survive. In "Free Action", the player chooses where to go and who to talk due in a limited window of time. During "Free Battle", the player can enter certain areas to train their Digimon and collect items.
- Chief Producer: Kazumasa Habu
- Producer: Katsuaki Tsuzuki
- Composer: Tomoki Miyoshi
- Character Designer: Uiti Ukumo
All voice actors are sourced to the official site's character pages unless stated otherwise.
Notes and references
- V Jump, September 2018 issue.
- Sato. "Here's A First Look At Digimon Survive's Visual Novel-Style Story And Strategy RPG System" (2018, July 18), Siliconera.
- Romano, Sal. Digimon Survive delayed to 2020 (2019, July 6), Gematsu
- Toei Animation: "Licensing January 2021, New video game : Digimon Survive"
- ハブ (@habumon). "ご心配をおかけし申し訳ございません。デジモンサヴァイブは開発体制を見直し、スケジュールの仕切り直しを行っております。関係各所調整し、状況を近々ご報告させていただく予定です。楽しみにしていただいている皆様には大変恐縮ですが、今しばらくお待ちいただけますよう宜しくお願い申し上げます。" October 8, 2020, 6:29 PM. Tweet.
- Digimon Games (@digimon_games). "Digimon fans, we have an important message from #Digimon game producer, Habu Kazumasa:" October 15, 2020, 3:00 PM. Tweet.
- Bandai Namco Entertainment America, Youtube, The Future of Digimon Panel - Anime Expo 2019 (2019, July 22)
- Dual Shockers: "Digimon Survive Gets New 1080p Screenshots and Details Showing Characters and More"
- Romano, Sal. Digimon Survive details story, Takuma and Agumon, Aoi and Labramon, and Minoru and Falcomon (2018, September 14), Gematsu
- BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment DE (@BandaiNamcoDE) Deutsche, englische, französische, spanische und italienische Untertitel. 2018-07-31 Tweet.
- Wong, Alistar. Digimon Survive's First Trailer Revealed (2018, July 29), Siliconera.
- Gematsu: "Digimon Survive details Saki Kimijima, Floramon, and Free Action"
- Romano, Sal. "Digimon Survive official Japanese website opened [Update]" (2018, July 21), Gematsu.
- ボルケーノ太田 (@volcano_ota). "羽生PからOKをいただいたので呟きをば… 過日、2020年発売予定のPS4／Nintendo Switch用ゲームソフト「デジモンサヴァイブ」のデジモン&登場人物の音声収録をさせていただきました！まさかこのデジモンの声を担当させていただくことになるとは…(^_^;) 意外すぎて思わず台本に落書きするという(笑)" September 20, 2019, 15:36 PM. Tweet.
|Main characters||Takuma Momozuka | Aoi Shibuya | Minoru Hyuga | Ryou Tominaga | Saki Kimijima | Shuuji Kayama | Kaito Shinonome | Miu Shinonome|
|Digimon||Agumon | Labramon | Falcomon | Kunemon | Floramon | Lopmon | Dracmon | Syakomon|
|Other characters||Other characters|