|Genre:||Action, Adventure, Shonen|
|Original run:||December 17, 2005 - February 2008|
Digimon Next is the second Digimon manga to be printed in the pages of V-Jump magazine, starting on December 17, 2005. The main character is Tsurugi Tatsuno, a fifth grader well known for his prowess in raising strong Digimon in his Digimon Mini. He is partnered with a Greymon.
It was originally supposed to be a manga adaption of Data Squad, but due to a delay in the start of the anime series, Digimon Next became its own series instead.
Tsurugi Tatsuno is a boy who raises Digimon in his Digimon Mini and is introduced to Net Battle, a virtual world where players' Digimon can fight each other. When a Kuwagamon appears in the Real World, his Greymon comes to life and protects him. Tsurugi is summoned to the Digital World by Piximon to save it from the Demon Lord Barbamon. Since his Digimon has a hexagon shape on him, it's an Illegal (変異種 Hen'ishuu?, lit. "Illegal Species") type, meaning that Digimon bearing such symbols can help save the Digital World. Gaining friends and enemies along the way, Tsurugi and his partner attempt to save the Digital World before Barbamon and his Commandments can obtain all the DigiMemories and take over both worlds.
Tsurugi Tatsuno (龍野 ツルギ Tatsuno Tsurugi?)
|A hot-headed elementary school student originally partnered with a Greymon, who later degenerates into an Agumon and holds the Dragon DigiMemory.|
Yū Inui (乾 ユウ Inui Yū?)
|A sickly boy who is drawn into the Digital World through his home computer. He is partnered with Gaomon, who holds the Beast DigiMemory.|
(北島 アミ Kitajima Ami?)
|Tsurugi's friend more interested in raising Digimon than battling them. She is partnered with Pichimon, who holds the Aquan DigiMemory.|
Shō Kahara (華原 ショウ Kahara Shō?)
|Shou was at one point Tsurugi's friend, though their paths have diverged in the present. He now fights at Barbamon's side as Knight. He is partnered to Peckmon, who holds the Bird DigiMemory.|
Barbamon is a member of the Seven Great Demon Lords, the source of all the chaos in the Digital World, as well as the holder of the Dark DigiMemory. Seeking to gather all of the DigiMemories to create NEO, he has hijacked the Host Computer Yggdrasill in the System World and has his Commandments wreak havoc all through the world.
NEO's completion is Barbamon's goal, requiring all eight DigiMemories to complete. He is an existence that surpasses Digimon and even Yggdrasill.
- The Dark DigiMemory, symbolized as a dark skull, is owned by Barbamon and added to NEO after Barbamon's defeat. It is used to form NEO's body.
- The Bird DigiMemory, symbolized as a bird, is owned by Peckmon until it is stolen by Barbamon. It is used to form NEO's wings.
- The Holy DigiMemory, symbolized as a cross, is owned by Piximon until it is stolen by the Commandments. It is used to form NEO's hair.
- The Dragon DigiMemory, symbolized as a dragon, is owned by Agumon until NEO takes it from him. It is used to form NEO's right arm.
- The Beast DigiMemory, symbolized as a wolf head, is owned by Gaomon until NEO takes it from him. It is used to form NEO's feet.
- The Insect-Plant DigiMemory, symbolized as a beetle horn, is owned by MegaKabuterimon until Shou Kahara and Peckmon take it from him. It is used to form NEO's shoulders.
- The Aquan DigiMemory, symbolized as a dolphin, is owned by Pichimon until Pichimon is taken from her and forcibly merged with NEO, DigiMemory included. It is used to form NEO's antennae.
- The Machine DigiMemory, symbolized as cogs, is owned by Andromon until it is stolen by the Commandments. It is used to form NEO's left arm.
There are technically 'two digital worlds' in this manga. The first is the artificial virtual MMORPG world where Tamers in the real world log on and interact with their V-Pet digimon. The VR version of Light City is the only known location. AATO digimon (digimon born through V-Pets) can't speak or have a mind of their own in the VR World, unless hacked like Peckmon.
The real digital world has no known continents or major landmasses, however these locations have been shown;
- System World: The realm of Yggdrasil, from here it controlled the whole digital world, protected by MagnaAngemon before Barbamon corrupted him into becoming Murmukusmon. Barbamon took control of the castle in this realm as his base of operation, and protected it with a firewall.
- Light City: The real one within the digital world is known to be one of the most biggest and advance cities in the whole digital world. The Overseer is Andromon, who leads a rebellion against Barbamon from an underground bunker.
- Hidden Valley: Piximon protects this land with a tribe of Patamons that live here.
- Middle Town: Once a town in the digital world, it has been destroyed by Barbamon's orders. Tsurugi and Agumon finds Yu and Gaomon here
- i-Land: An island with a theme park. Here is where Waspmon raises the digieggs to become future Commandments of Barbamon's army.
- Green Land: Once a lush forest, home of many plant digimon. It had been burnt into a desert with only a single oasis by Meramon, who had been controlled by Barbamon's black digicore
- North Forest: Another forest in the digital world, home to bug digimon and now plant digimon refugees after Green Land was burnt. It was once protected by MegaKabuterimon until his defeat by the Hacker Knight.
- Paradise Hot Spring: A resort set literally in the middle of the tracks between North Forest and Light City. Run by an Angewomon and Gatomons. In truth, revealed to be a trap set up by Datamon.
Notes and references
|Main Characters:||Tsurugi Tatsuno | Yu Inui | Ami Kitajima | Sho Kahara|
|Partner Digimon:||Agumon | Gaomon | Pichimon | Peckmon|
|Allies:||Piximon | Trailmon (C-89 Model) | Norn|
|Villains:||Barbamon | Commandments | Knight and Peckmon | NEO|
|See also:||Digimon | List of chapters | List of characters|