The game features characters from the first three seasons of the anime (or Digimon Adventure 01/02 and Digimon Tamers in Japan). Each one has their own special moves and digivolutions, as well as slightly varying normal attacks and taunts.
- Guilmon is somewhat weak physically but very quick on his feet. His special attack, Fireball, travels straight forward and has a bit of a recoil. His digivolution is Gallantmon.
- Terriermon's special move, Blazing Fire, has limited ranged, but his rushing attack is quite effective. He is the smallest fighter but is actually fairly strong. He digivolves into MegaGargomon.
- Renamon is a very well-rounded character with effective normal attacks. Her special attack is Fox Leaf Arrowhead, and she digivolves into Sakuyamon.
- Veemon has Limited range on nearly all attacks but is powerful. His V-mon Head and Boom Boom Punch moves can cause a lot of damage. Imperialdramon Paladin Mode is his digivolution.
- Wormmon is one of the slowest characters, but his moves come out very quickly. He can also cling to and climb up vertical walls for a short time. His digivolution is Imperialdramon Fighter Mode.
- Agumon has a mixture of weak and strong attacks, but good range on his Baby Flame attack. He digivolves to WarGreymon.
- Sukamon is a weak and unorthodox character, but his digivolution, Etemon, is quite powerful.
These are characters that are not available at first, but have to be unlocked by fulfilling certain conditions.
- BlackAgumon is a virus version of Agumon, with a slower, more powerful normal attack. His digivolution is BlackWarGreymon, and can be unlocked when beating the game with two different characters.
- Lopmon is a variation of Terriermon who is obtained by beating the game with three additional separate characters, on top of those used to unlock BlackAgumon. His digivolution is the evil Cherubimon.
- Gabumon is a slow, yet very offensively oriented Digimon. He is obtained by beating the game with all the normal characters, as well as BlackAgumon and Lopmon. His digivolution is Omnimon.
- ExtraAgumon is a special version of Agumon with a floating ability and can digivolve into Omnimon. Also, his Baby Flame attack lasts longer. He's unlocked along with Gabumon.
- Impmon is powerful and quick, but with limited attacks. Unlike the one that attacks between stages, he does not have a sphere attracting move. He is the only character without a digivolution, and is unlocked by beating the game and collecting at least 300 D-Spirits.