|Biyomon Gets Firepower |
"Scorching Heat! Birdramon"
|(Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate||(Ja:) March 28, 1999|
(En:) September 4, 1999
|Written by||(Ja:) Genki Yoshimura|
(En:) Dayna Barron, John Ludin
|Directed by||(Ja:) Takahiro Imamura|
|View on Wikimon|
As strange flying gears begin to appear in the region, a Yokomon village comes under attack by a nearby Meramon, and Biyomon is determined to stop him.
The DigiDestined are wandering through a forest full of signs (Matt calls it the Forest of Irrelevant Road Signs) when they see a strange Black Gear in the sky. They start to wonder what it is and where they are. Tai says that they have to keep moving after stopping when T.K. trips. Sora agrees and says that they all need to stay together and use teamwork to figure out where they are (despite everyone walking away as she says this). Matt sees a bunch of telephones poles and says they should follow them. At the same time Izzy sees the black gear again crashing into Mihirashi Mountain.
As they are following the poles, the kids realize that they have no wires connecting them. They are then reminded of the phone booths and the trolley car. They also notice other weird things such as Mimi's compass not working. Everyone is very hot and tired when Tai spots water. They see it's in a village and head in it's direction. Meanwhile, the black gear they saw earlier embeds itself into a Meramon. When the DigiDestined get to the village, they see that it is completely inhabited by Yokomon. The Yokomon ask Biyomon all about how she digivolved. Biyomon tells them that it's because of the bond she shares with Sora and how she needed to protect her human partner. The Yokomon invite everyone to have dinner with them and they also go to the fountain for water. Suddenly, the fountain starts to erupt lava. The lake is empty too.
The kids think that the sudden drought could have something to do with the black gear they saw hitting the mountain where the water comes from. While getting a better look through his telescope, Tai sees Meramon heading for them. He's in great pain and burning even though he's made of fire. As Meramon gets closer, everyone begins to run away and hide in a boat in the dried up lake. Biyomon stays behind to help the Yokomon and Sora goes after her. Just then Meramon attacks Biyomon but Sora saves her. Since they are still in danger, Biyomon goes back to fight! Her rookie attacks don't do anything and when the other digimon come, their attacks only make him bigger as Meramon cries out in pain. Biyomon realizes that her friends are in danger and digivolves to Birdramon. The two fight and after getting a good hit on Meramon, the black gear comes out of his back. They realize that's what was making him crazy. Then Birdramon turns back into Biyomon and hugs Sora.
The Yokomon ask Meramon why he attacked their village and he tells them he couldn't control himself and the last thing he remembers was being hit by the black gear. They are just happy that he's better and Meramon goes back to the mountain. After that, everyone eats the dinner they were promised. All the digimon love it but the kids are a little reluctant to eat the seeds they are given despite there being more than enough for seconds.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonist(s), and italicized characters feature non-explicitly, e.g. voice, silhouette, image.)
|Palmon: "Meramon is a fiery Digimon. There's no reason he should be in pain from his own flames—that's his nature."|
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
"Well, thanks a lot for waiting!"
- ―Sora when the others wander off during her speech.
"Moving right along, folks. Keep it moving. Our next stop on the tour will be the Forest of Irrelevant Road Signs. No pictures, please."
- ―Matt, no longer surprised by the oddities of the Digital World.
T.K.: "It's so hot I can feel the heat coming up through my socks."
Matt: "Well, T.K., maybe you should put your shoes back on."
- —T.K., obviously affected by the heat, both physically and mentally.
Mimi: "Hey, remember those phone booths and that street car?"
Izzy: "Yeah? What about 'em?"
Mimi: "Oh, nothing. I was just wondering if anybody else remembered."
- —Mimi, not being very helpful.
Joe: "That's it! We're doomed! The heat has baked our brains and we're all going to end up like roasted piglets!"
Izzy: "Just remain calm, Joe. We've only been walking for 2 minutes."
- —Joe being pessimistic as usual.
"Mimi, for someone who hates hiking, you sure have a lot of compasses. [compass goes haywire] Of course, none of them actually work."
- ―Tai, still not sure what to think of Mimi.
Izzy: "I've taken a soil sample, measured the barometric pressure and analyzed the relative humidity."
Sora: "And what did you find out?"
Izzy: "It's really, really hot."
- —Izzy makes a nondiscovery.
T.K.: "Pee-ew! What's that yucky smell?"
Matt: "Here's a thought. Now you know why they call them sweat socks."
- —More inane conversation while walking through the desert.
"You say this character Meramon is a fiery Digimon? What does he look like? Never mind! There he is!"
- ―Tai is surprised to see Meramon heading straight for the Yokomon Village.
"If fire's not affecting him, I'm guessing it's not heartburn."
- ―Izzy comes to another logical conlusion.
Matt: "Maybe this monster just has growing pains."
Izzy: "Growing pains?"
Joe: "Matt, this is not a time to joke!"
- —Matt takes a wild guess on Meramon's predicament.
Biyomon: "We have more than enough for seconds."
Joe: "Yeah, well, there's probably a good reason for that."
- —Joe, now being cynical about the food.
"Has anybody noticed, we talk a lot about food."
- ―Matt, making an observation.
- Before Sora and Biyomon join the others, one of Biyomon's lower head feathers is blue at the bottom.
- In a shot of Joe with his fist raised, the strap of his bag is on his right shoulder.
- When Tentomon whispers to Izzy, Joe's left wristband (under his watch) is green instead of yellow.
- When the group crouch to look at Mimi's compass, Joe's left wristband is green instead of yellow again.
- In a shot of Tai, Mimi, Joe and T.K. looking at Mimi's compass, the strap of Mimi's bag is the same color as her dress.
- When Izzy picks up the sand, his digivice is missing.
- In a shot of the group and the sun, the black band on Tai's left arm is missing, and Sora's shoes are completely gray.
- When Mimi yells, Gabumon's toenails are colored violet instead of white.
- When Biyomon rubs up against Sora's leg, the lower sides of Tentomon's head are green instead of red.
- In a close-up shot of Joe with his hands together, his watch is on his right arm, and his right wristband is the same color as his skin.
- In a back shot of the group before going to the village, the purple marking around Gomamon's mane is the same color as Tai's skin.
- In a shot of Mimi, Joe and T.K. looking at the Yokomon, some sections of T.K.'s torso are the same color as the straps of his backpack.
- In a shot of the group in the village, the skin and black band on Tai's left arm are colored the wrong way around, and the yellow sections on some of the Yokomon are missing.
- In a shot of Matt and Izzy looking around the village, Izzy's laptop is completely yellow.
- In a shot of Biyomon speaking to the Yokomon, the background appears cut off at the bottom.
- When Izzy wonders what kind of feast will the Yokomon give to them, one Yokomon behind him is miscolored.
- In a shot of the Yokomon near the fountain, the yellow sections on some of the Yokomon are missing.
- In a shot of the group while the Yokomon are jumping, the scleras of Tai's eyes are missing, the blue tip on Biyomon's head feather is pink, the yellow sections on some of the Yokomon are missing, and one of the Yokomon has no mouth.
- In a shot of the group looking at Meramon getting closer, the lower tip of Sora's hat is miscolored, and two of the spikes on Tentomon's back are red instead of gray.
- When Tai yells everyone to run away, the yellow stripes on his shirt are missing.
- In a front shot of Izzy, T.K. and their Digimon running, the lower sides of Tentomon's head are colored green instead of red.
- When Biyomon flies out of Sora's arms to fight Meramon, Sora appears twice and Biyomon's feet are pink instead of yellow.
- When Biyomon uses her Spiral Twister attack, her beak disappears between frames, in another frame she has two beaks, and her ring is on her right leg.
- When Agumon, Gabumon, Tentomon and Patamon join the battle, the lower sides of Tentomon's head are colored green instead of red.
- As Biyomon falls down after being hit by Meramon's Fireball attack, the tip on her head feather is pink instead of blue, the ring on her left leg is missing, and Tentomon's shell is a darker tone of red.
- When Tentomon uses his Super Shocker attack, his body is a generally darker tone and his thighs are red instead of green.
- When Gabumon uses his Blue Blaster attack, the upper part of his horn is cut off.
- When Birdramon is previewed in Biyomon's digivolution sequence, her lower jaw is the same color as her upper jaw.
- When Birdramon flies past Meramon, her lower jaw is the same color as her upper jaw.
- In several distant shots of Meramon, his eyes appear red instead of blue.
- When T.K. celebrates Birdramon's victory, his hair turns a darker tone for a brief moment.
- In a shot of the group with Meramon in the sunset, the purple marking surrounding Gomamon's mane is white.
- In a shot of Tai, Sora, T.K. and Biyomon watching Meramon go away, the blue tip on Biyomon's head feather is pink.
- The original dialogue for this episode is very different to the English dub, and revolves a lot more around Sora and Biyomon. For example, Sora is originally shown getting annoyed with Biyomon because she talks too much and is always hanging around her, and Tentomon dubs Biyomon as a very optimistic Digimon. Sora was also shown to believe that it was impossible for Biyomon to digivolve.
- At the moment when Joe tells the group that they're all doomed in the English dub, and Tentomon whispers to Izzy behind his back, Joe was originally insisting that there were people living nearby (a recurring theme in the Japanese episodes), and Tentomon tells Izzy, in response, that there are only Digimon.
- When Mimi shows her compass, in the original she knows it's a compass. She isn't originally the one who brings up the phone booths either.
- Izzy's "examination" monologue isn't present, and the children instead talk about the heat.
- When T.K. trips, he originally talks about how it hurt and everyone comforting him as well as how he says he'll deal with it showing his maturity and independence for a young child something.
- When they meet the Yokomon, Mimi originally comments about how they remind her of a fairy-tale her mother once told her. Matt's subsequent comment, about Mimi in the English dub, is originally that they wouldn't be able to spend the night in the Yokomon's houses.
- In the original, the children compare the desert to the African savanna.
- Birdramon announces the episode title in the Japanese episode.
- This is the group's first encounter of the black gears, and their first battle with a Digimon controlled by a black gear.
- In this episode, Birdramon's Meteor Wing attack looks slightly different to later episodes. Normally, the flames from her wings would appear after the wings open. Though, on this occasion, the wings open, glitter for a moment, and then close, before the flames appear.